Orphan Espresso LIDO 3 first impressions - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
patsesson

#41: Post by patsesson »

Thank you for your input :)

I will have to look a bit closer here in near future.

/ Pat.

skittles_s

#42: Post by skittles_s »

I have a Pharos, Lido 2, and Rocky. The Pharos is my primary espresso grinder, and the Lido is my first choice for brewed coffee. 60g for a batch brewer is no problem at all in terms of time or effort. Both OE grinders outperform the Rocky in terms of quality. I've kept the Rocky because it does have its purposes: for my wife who doesn't fuss with the hand grinders or for a very hard light roast intended for espresso. In that case, I prefer the ease of it over the Pharos and can attend to its clumps, etc.. It's not the best grinder for the money but it is probably more maligned than it deserves, too.

day

#43: Post by day »

jbviau wrote:^^^ If by "grinding for 6" he just means 60 g. or so of the same coffee for a full pot from a drip machine of some sort, I don't think that would be too much to do by hand at all (i.e. fairly low effort, maybe 2 minutes worth of grinding at most). But then again I wouldn't necessarily *want* to do it when entertaining, and in my family coffee for 6 would probably mean 2 pots.
Hehe...yea my dad and mom just use cheap stuff and pour in milk and sugar....but they want 24 oz of coffee a sitting each. Been keeping a secret stash of stale beans for that purpose, def not hand grinding it.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

MWJB

#44: Post by MWJB »

jbviau wrote:^^^ If by "grinding for 6" he just means 60 g. or so of the same coffee for a full pot from a drip machine of some sort, I don't think that would be too much to do by hand at all (i.e. fairly low effort, maybe 2 minutes worth of grinding at most). But then again I wouldn't necessarily *want* to do it when entertaining, and in my family coffee for 6 would probably mean 2 pots.
I have ground 60-70g pretty much daily on Lido1 & 2 (both around a turn out), it's no big deal, less time & effort than doses a third of the size on the smaller, ceramic burr hand grinders.

Shenrei

#45: Post by Shenrei »

The black counter holder is from the Lido 2, and doesn't come with the Lido 3.

So I caved and I'm glad I did. The Lido 3 is one of those items that looks way better and feels better than what you imagine in your head after seeing pictures.

The new free-spinning knob is a joy to use, and now I'm considering getting one for my Lido 2. The weight is nice and feels good in the hand. The adjustment and locking ring feel easier to maneuver, though I really didn't have any issues with them in the Lido 2. The anti-static jar matches the color scheme of the Lido 3 nicely. I swapped it with the glass jar form the Lido 2 and the Lido 3 just didn't look right. The popper stopper is a nice touch - I didn't have any issues really with popping on the Lido 2, but it seems like it's needed on the Lido 3 since I did see a fair bit of pop.

By far the biggest improvement for me was the efficiency for the effort required to turn. I cranked out 30g of beans pretty dang fast, and the effort to grind didn't seem much different from the Hausgrind. On the Hausgrind, this would take a fair amount longer. This is a big deal for me, and it's this reason that the Lido 3 will be replacing my Hausgrind as my work grinder. The Lido 3 is also a touch more quiet than the Lido 2, but not as quiet as the Hausgrind (important if you do not want to disturb others in the office).

I banged out a cup just guessing and without any break-in, and the resulting cup was pretty good. This is an amazing piece of work and if you don't own a Lido 2 already, it's highly recommended :mrgreen:
- Tim

patsesson

#46: Post by patsesson »

Shenrei wrote:<image>
The black counter holder is from the Lido 2, and doesn't come with the Lido 3.

So I caved and I'm glad I did. The Lido 3 is one of those items that looks way better and feels better than what you imagine in your head after seeing pictures.

The new free-spinning knob is a joy to use, and now I'm considering getting one for my Lido 2. The weight is nice and feels good in the hand. The adjustment and locking ring feel easier to maneuver, though I really didn't have any issues with them in the Lido 2. The anti-static jar matches the color scheme of the Lido 3 nicely. I swapped it with the glass jar form the Lido 2 and the Lido 3 just didn't look right. The popper stopper is a nice touch - I didn't have any issues really with popping on the Lido 2, but it seems like it's needed on the Lido 3 since I did see a fair bit of pop.

By far the biggest improvement for me was the efficiency for the effort required to turn. I cranked out 30g of beans pretty dang fast, and the effort to grind didn't seem much different from the Hausgrind. On the Hausgrind, this would take a fair amount longer. This is a big deal for me, and it's this reason that the Lido 3 will be replacing my Hausgrind as my work grinder. The Lido 3 is also a touch more quiet than the Lido 2, but not as quiet as the Hausgrind (important if you do not want to disturb others in the office).

I banged out a cup just guessing and without any break-in, and the resulting cup was pretty good. This is an amazing piece of work and if you don't own a Lido 2 already, it's highly recommended :mrgreen:
Great info!

Will have to look closer into this in the near future when getting a grinder :)
Perhaps i will start with a more basic grinder for the large amount when relatives visist, 1L PresspotBrew
And get an Aeropress also for my own 1cup daily brew. Saving money towards this LIDO 3 for travel use and personal "quality" home use :)

Shenrei

#47: Post by Shenrei »

Brief scan of OE's website shows that the burr on the Lido 2 won't be available for that long. All Lido 2s will come with the less-aggressive burr that theh Lido 3 uses.

Makes it feel kinda cool to own the more aggressive Lido 2 now :D
- Tim

OldNuc

#48: Post by OldNuc »

That means for the price of a new burr set the present Lido-2 owners will effectively have 2 grinders with different characteristics., interesting.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#49: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

OldNuc wrote:That means for the price of a new burr set the present Lido-2 owners will effectively have 2 grinders with different characteristics., interesting.
True, assuming OE will ever sell that burr set alone. Doug told me by phone that they might do so later this year (fall?), but it didn't sound like a firm plan. We'll see.

Tim, thanks for the heads up on the news re: the LIDO 2 transitioning to the new burr set. Here's a link to that info., which I'll quote below as well:
Orphan Espresso wrote:Note: in order to normalize production and parts supply, future LIDO 2 grinders will have the Swiss burr, so if you want the more aggressive Italian burr, don't wait to purchase a LIDO 2!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

OldNuc

#50: Post by OldNuc »

I suspect that almost all individual parts will eventually be available as replacement parts. I suppose in the mean time the Lido-2 owners who do not care for the aggressive Italian burrs can add an additional bowl of Wheaties to their breakfast routine. :wink: