Acaia Lunar Scale, some test videos

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
indend007

#1: Post by indend007 »

I was given a pre production sample from Acaia for review purpose.
So I remove individual feeling and just throw clips.

#1. Water drown test
When it is drowned on water, it will be turned off automatically.
After dehydration, it works perfectly.

#2. Connected with Brew-master

#3. Response speed test
Acaia Lunar = Ohaus Navigator > Bonavita drip scale
1- The model we sent you was a preproduction model. Full production is projected May-June and it is possible that some changes will be made.

2- If you do drop a scale into water, you need to completely dry it out before using it again. This means that you should either put this into a bowl of rice and slowly dry it out or unscrew the bottom and let it air dry. After doing this, you need to calibrate. Most importantly, the scale is designed to shut off. This is not an error on the scale. If water gets to the parts inside, we designed it to shut off.

3- If you drop it into hot water, you need to let it cool down.

4- Response times can be faster if you turn the F. it to 2 - note that this will be more sensitive to environmental noise.

5- We also have a high res mode where you can show the 0.01 g - this determines the accuracy of the 0.1 g.
And extra information from acaia.

Carmd1281

#2: Post by Carmd1281 »

Cool man, thanks for sharing!

A typical shot timer starts when the pump is turned on, correct? So I suppose using the scale as a timer you would have to take that into acccount and generally shoot for a lower time than when using a hand held timer.

I've pre order a scale and trying to figure out how well the dual function will work on a day to day basis.... Weighing and timing.
Carm
New York, NY

indend007 (original poster)

#3: Post by indend007 (original poster) »

Carmd1281 wrote:A typical shot timer starts when the pump is turned on, correct? So I suppose using the scale as a timer you would have to take that into acccount and generally shoot for a lower time than when using a hand held timer.
You can log your entire shot time by Brew master app, so you would make a log(start point) by push button on smart device with pump on.
Or you can use it on manual time log mode. :P

Carmd1281

#4: Post by Carmd1281 »

ah! true, that is a good point. I suppose in my case why half the reason i like the scale is to simplify my setup, adding in a smart devise would defeat that.

I'll need to ponder it some more... thanks for the feedback!
Carm
New York, NY

jonr

#5: Post by jonr »

It's interesting to see how the real-time weight values jump around (see the bar graph in the video). I have the same issue with the scale I use to automatically control shot flow rate and end point. But with enough averaging, it works OK.

Smart phones and tablets are getting so ubiquitous that it may be reasonable to build devices without any user interface.

AssafL

#6: Post by AssafL »

Auto tare works only if you don't measure your grind weight in the portafilter.
Auto start stop doesn't work for ristrettos.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

BobStern

#7: Post by BobStern »

AssafL wrote:Auto start stop doesn't work for ristrettos.
Why is that? Is auto stop disabled until a minimum time or minimum weight is reached? (You could test it by dripping water in a cup rather than wasting good espresso!)

Perhaps if you contact the developer they will release a firmware upgrade to fix this.

Bob_McBob

#8: Post by Bob_McBob »

BobStern wrote:Perhaps if you contact the developer they will release a firmware upgrade to fix this.
And hopefully you have an iOS device since they don't support firmware updates with Android :?
Chris

AssafL

#9: Post by AssafL »

Water mode only starts when you have a constant stream on the pan. Not with early drips.

Contacted acaia and have this as a bug but they said to use the manual counter. So I don't know if this will be fixed.

And yes - fortunately (or unfortunately) I am on an iOS device.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.