Kettle "flow restrictor": where to buy/mods - Page 5

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Shenrei

#41: Post by Shenrei »

Just discovered a neat little trick from the Coffee UK Forums. Take a small paper aeropress filter, fold/crumple it and stick it in the end of the nozzle of the kettle. Viola! Instant flow restrictor! Now it won't be as good as the silicone plug inside the base, but for what it is, it works well. Also easy to remove and put back in if you need to.
- Tim

wasafiri

#42: Post by wasafiri »

A little bit of clarification.

I have both the regular Bonavita electric gooseneck and the PID gooseneck.

The flow restrictor (bought from George Howell) fits nicely in the regular electric gooseneck, but is very difficult to shoehorn into the Bonavita PID gooseneck.

I noticed that the gooseneck spout on the PID model is made of thicker metal than the non-PID one, so that would account for the difficulty in trying to stuff the flow restrictor into the PID model. Eventually got the restrictor into the PID gooseneck, after hacking a tiny bit off of the sides of the restrictor.

day

#43: Post by day »

I took some straws nicked the side and slid them together until getting my desired flow rate
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Eastsideloco

#44: Post by Eastsideloco »

wasafiri wrote:I noticed that the gooseneck spout on the PID model is made of thicker metal than the non-PID one, so that would account for the difficulty in trying to stuff the flow restrictor into the PID model. Eventually got the restrictor into the PID gooseneck, after hacking a tiny bit off of the sides of the restrictor.
That sounds familiar. I had to do the same thing. Thanks for the clarification.

endlesscycles

#45: Post by endlesscycles »

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but the flow restrictors are available here:
http://bonavitaworld.com/products/flow- ... ck-kettles
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

day

#46: Post by day replying to endlesscycles »

hehe...the 10.91 shipping kind of kills the 23cent benefit
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone