Special shout-out to HB member erics

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Larz

#1: Post by Larz »

A special shout-out to a great HB member:

Many, maybe most, longtime HB'ers are aware of or have experienced support from EricS, often in the area of temperature management, but for newer members like myself and others that haven't read through all the tomes in this site, I wanted to publicly recommend and thank Eric for the support (and parts) he provided me in "PIDing up" my rather uncommon commercial type machine; one without an exposed grouphead and with an unconventional E61. Besides offering initial suggestions, he drafted schematics, provided and replaced parts and made countless recommendations before, during and after a successful installation.

Eric goes way above and beyond and, based on my experience, should perhaps be considered a primary resource for anyone beginning to pursue temperature management initiatives.

Thank you Eric.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

No doubt! And as a noteworthy milestone, this August will be Eric's 10 year anniversary on HB. :D
Dan Kehn

cuppajoe

#3: Post by cuppajoe »

He has always been most helpful and his advice accurate, sometimes wonder if he ever sleeps.

If you use an E61 machine his thermometer is a must-have. I think it would also work with the Cimbali Junior but didn't want to hack the housing to get it installed.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Larz (original poster)

#4: Post by Larz (original poster) »

There was no way to install the thermometer in my commercial Expobar either but I could see that there was (barely) enough room to install a "refashioned" thermocouple into the E61B under the cover if if bent properly, which Eric did for me based on my specs. Then it was just a matter of routing the fine (22 awg) leads out of the machine , to the PID. I slipped mine between the case/cover walls and the frame for a completely unobtrusive look....no wires visible. You may (should?) be able to get one in the Cimbali too, if you are willing to substitute the thermometer for a PID as I did. The look of the PID sitting on the machine, as you can see, may not be for everyone, but it is very fast and accurate. There was no damage to any part of the machine and no modifications were made that were not completely reversible. Works like a good gall darn, as they say down here.

kwantfm

#5: Post by kwantfm »

I have his thermocouples for the Quest M3 and they've been wonderful!
LMWDP #602

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

Erics definitely deserves praise!

(eric, if you're listening, can you help me PID my strega grouphead pleeeeeeeease???)
LMWDP #353

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

For years, that hex screw in the E61 group was mocked us, "do you really think you can use me to measure the temperature? Ever been spat at with 200F water?" Eric finally shut it up, and helped lots of people stop cursing at the interminable flushes. Since then his temperature sensors for machines and roasters have been no questions asked good and reliable.

Thanks for all your help.
Jim Schulman