Entering the world of pourover - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
morecoffee1

#11: Post by morecoffee1 »

I think a Baratza Encore Refurb (https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerc ... egory=RFRB) is the base line recommendation for an electric non-espresso grinder. I'm thinking of getting one for the office.

SonVolt

#12: Post by SonVolt »

I think for 30 days I'd just find a cafe. 8)

JDolezal

#13: Post by JDolezal replying to SonVolt »

For the record, we've got more than a few great ones here. You'll have to try Espresso a Mano (my personal favorite) and Commonplace Coffee (there are several locations, all of which are good). I've also heard good things about Tazza d'oro, though I haven't made it there yet.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

My go-to travel setup for work is a Bobble Presse and a Lido 2 grinder. The Presse doesn't require a pouring kettle, holds heat well so it's as easy as putting in the coffee and then filling the brewer from the hot water tap of your water cooler and then pressing the coffee down after five minutes.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marcelnl

#15: Post by Marcelnl »

Waiting x seconds works well, just check the various japanese green tea protocols..
Recently bought some Gyokuro Which needs to infuse at 55'C and I found a recipe explainimng how you can reach that temp starting with boiling water, checked it with a digital thermometer and it was spot on.
LMWDP #483

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

A month? Take your machine and grinder with you! :-) Last time I was stuck in a hotel for a while I brought the Elektra Microcasa a Leva and a Baratza Vario (and an Aeropress).

For me, manual pour-over requires too much dedication/concentration first thing in the morning, and I know that I would find hand-grinding with a Lido2 for a month pretty tedious. (A weekend is about my limit.) Thus, for $250, I would go with a drip machine and a Bonavita 1500 (just got one and love it), a Baratza Encore refurb, a scale - and an Aeropress for when you want something other than pour-over/drip.

Immersion methods like the Clever Dripper or Espro Press are also great options.

Another possibility is to pick up an old small espresso machine off Craigslist and modify it. I picked up a Mokita (SBDU with the Ascaso/Innova/Nemox etc. 57mm boiler/group) and fixed it up, added a PID and a new 'precision' basket for under $100. That, a Lido2 - or even a Porlex - and an easy-to-brew 'comfort' blend, will give you pretty tasty espresso!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

bean2friends

#17: Post by bean2friends »

yakster wrote:My go-to travel setup for work is a Bobble Presse and a Lido 2 grinder. The Presse doesn't require a pouring kettle, holds heat well so it's as easy as putting in the coffee and then filling the brewer from the hot water tap of your water cooler and then pressing the coffee down after five minutes.
I echo this. It's a really simple set up and delivers great coffee. I only wait 4 minutes to press. I use a scale too, but you could get by with tablespoon measures.

sweaner

#18: Post by sweaner »

Bobble Press or Clever Coffee Dripper

Lido 2 or 3

This scale: http://www.dx.com/p/digital-pocket-scal ... Rs9U_zF-So

Kettle of your choice
Scott
LMWDP #248

maur1c3 (original poster)

#19: Post by maur1c3 (original poster) »

SonVolt wrote:I think for 30 days I'd just find a cafe. 8)
Ah , but I have Google mapped several within walking distance (Bloomfield), but none open at 04:30

Riceman42

#20: Post by Riceman42 »

The Clever Dripper and Kalita Wave are great options, along with a LIDO 2/3 hand grinder. Stay away from the Porlex and Hario hand grinders - I have issues with their ceramic, unstable burrs.

You mentioned that you are looking for a pour-over setup for traveling. In order to produce a great cup of coffee via pourover you will need to invest in a gooseneck kettle. However, those can take up space and some have a delicate spout, thus it will require finesse when packing for trips. You don't necessarily need a gooseneck kettle for a Clever Dripper. I find the AeroPress to be my go-to for traveling because it's small, lightweight, durable, and doesn't require the use of a gooseneck kettle.

Another thing to consider in regards to packability: the Clever filters are flat and easy to pack, but the Wave filters are like cupcake wrappers and require some protection to keep them from getting deformed. Clever filters are generic and highly accessible, you can find them at just about any grocery store in any part of the country. On the other hand, the Wave filters have to be purchased through a specialty coffee outlet.