Had fun chatting espresso on a cruise ship

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Gig103

#1: Post by Gig103 »

I took a Celebrity cruise a little over a year ago, and just tonight realized "Hey! Folks on HB might be interested!", because I spent many hours over those 2 weeks in the espresso bar ("Cafe Al Bacio"). They made very good espresso and cappuccinos using a Lavazza medium-roast, and as I started to talk to the baristas, I realized that one of them was not just punching a clock behind the bar, he actually and truly enjoyed being a barista.

When it was quiet, I had time to talk to him. He was from Bulgaria where he spent several years in apprenticeship (unsure if formal or informal, or if just a translation issue) to be a barista. He loved to make latte art, and lamented the fact that customers kept asking for tea, because it was a heat exchange machine and he said that after a few teapots in a row he should be waiting to brew, but wasn't allowed to delay customers. He gave me his opinion of a whole range of barista championship matters I didn't understand (because I don't follow that, not because of his English or anything).

Anyway, it was nice to find a real barista who was interested in chatting - around me it's mostly Starbucks and McDonalds' superautos. And he made these awesome drinks on the last night!

(Native American in a headdress in case it isn't clear)

day

#2: Post by day »

wow.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone