Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine - Page 80

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#791: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Decided to make a knife to switch up my work.

200 layer Damascus made from 1095 high carbon and 15n20 nickel steel in a raindrop pattern. Blade is 3.5 inches long with a gut hook and thumb notch top, file worked tang on the top and bottom and 1/8 inch thick. Very stout and sturdy blade hardened to 60 on the Rockwell scale. Handles are Gabon ebony backed desert ironwood burl and pinned with nickel silver rod. Turned out nice IMHO. Now I have to decide what to do with it, keep it or sell it.

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#792: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Had a request to make a couple steam/water controls for a Duetto V3 espresso machine to round out a set. He already had the portafilter and brew lever in Wenge. Made a matching tryer for his TJ-067 coffee roaster. Kind of crazy setup. The handle has a trunnion that recesses into the tryer by about 3/4 of an inch. Then they drill a hole through the metal of the tryer, run a screw threw it and into the handle then grind the head off so it is flush. That makes it imposable to remove the handle, unless you have a drill press and carbide bits. I had to mount it in the drill press vice and drill out the screw. Took a little time but I got it. Then on the replacement I countersunk a wood screw, put it back together and then sanded the screw smooth with the round profile of the handle leaving the Phillips head so if you every want to remove it again you can.

Dave Stephens

Bikeminded

#793: Post by Bikeminded »

I goes without saying you do some really nice work. Love those steam/HW control knobs I'm seeing on preceeding pages.

Team HB

#794: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Another had a portafilter but needed the rest of the machine to match request. Some Zebrawood for a VBM Domobar JR.

Dave Stephens

Mr O

#795: Post by Mr O »

This work is fantastic.. I got pointed here from another coffee forum. How long is the waiting list?

takeshi

#796: Post by takeshi »

This was the latest update I saw from Dave:
Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine

Team HB

#797: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Finished up a curly black walnut portafilter handle for a cafelet convertible portafilter and a brew lever for the same machine, a Kingwood tamper handle and put some curly red Nara scales on my other damasks knife.

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#798: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Did a couple portafilter handles for a Breville double boiler. Bizarre portafilter handle arrangement, but they still look nice. Oiled Zebrawood.

Dave Stephens

RickG

#799: Post by RickG »

Do you have any examples of any wood parts for a Crossland CC1? The cheap plastics faceplates, knob and portafilter handle are just screaming to be replaced.

Team HB

#800: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

A little better photo of the zebra-wood.

Dave Stephens