What do you think of this guys campfire roasting?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BKSinAZ

#1: Post by BKSinAZ »

I thought I would give some campfire roasting a try and came upon this video. Not sure what the hand roasting tool is, but is it better to do this in a cast iron pan? The video at first talks about his aeropress, but he starts to roast beans over a fire to use.

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKgKX2aZCmE

keno

#2: Post by keno »

Wow, looks like he started first crack in under 2 minutes! When he brought the pan up closer to the camera you could see that some beans were just starting to yellow and others looked scorched. Very uneven. The whole roast took under 5 minutes. Cast iron would probably help to apply a more even heat, but it's just not a great way to roast.

Might be a fun thing to do if you go camping, but I wouldn't want to drink it - probably simultaneously under and over-developed.

billsey

#3: Post by billsey »

There were some edits, he stated five minutes before 1C.

EvanOz85

#4: Post by EvanOz85 »

OT: The comments section is painful.

"Mr coffee espresso is the best"

:cry: :cry:

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

That's a pretty small setup, I guess good for backpacking. You'll be roasting every day with that little pot, but the good thing is that you won't strain your wrist with it. Here's my car camping rig. I added some metal stakes for support that have spit rests on them so that I can rest the far end of the old fashioned popcorn popper on the stake and take the weight off my wrist.

You really want to shake the heck out of the beans to promote evenness and reduce scorching, but when your camping fresh coffee tastes good even if the roast isn't perfect. The photo is a pretty early batch, pretty uneven, I've had much better batches and some great camp coffee out of this rig.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272