Aeropress - press time

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
brisbane87

#1: Post by brisbane87 »

I've seen a lot of people range from 45s all the way up to 75s for press time on their Aeropress. What I'm trying to understand is why wouldn't you shoot for as short a press time as possible? Otherwise it seems to me that the coffee getting pressed out last is overextracted, since it's being immersed for an additional 45-75s from the coffee that has been pressed out first?

Put differently, wouldn't a shorter press time allow for much more uniformity of extraction?

Edit: I suppose the natural air pressure/resistance inside the chamber would prevent you from being able to press down too quickly, and if it were too easy then you've ground too coarsely and are not using enough pressure to extract the coffee. But still, seems like 45-75s is way too long.

SpromoSapiens

#2: Post by SpromoSapiens »

I think you're right about evenness of extraction, technically, but I think only the longer end of that press time range makes a noticeable difference. I do strive for a press time of less than 30 seconds and I do factor it into the overall brew time. (My timer stops only when the hiss of air starts.)
The problem is that I prefer to grind a bit on the finer side, yet maximum control over press time requires a coarser grind. This may contribute to others' long press times, too.

jpender

#3: Post by jpender »

Try pressing out two cups, one as fast as you can and the other really, really slowly. The slower one will look cleaner. Whether or not the extra time screws up extraction depends.

SpromoSapiens

#4: Post by SpromoSapiens »

+1
Clean cup too, yes. I forgot about that. Always more fines when you rush it and power it down.

DouloScott

#5: Post by DouloScott »

+1 for clarity.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Alan Adler recommended I rest both hands on top of the plunger and let it ease down with the weight of my arms. I've done it that way since and get a clean cup. It doesn't take me long for extraction that way, maybe 20 seconds. But I'm not forcing the water down through the grounds and forcing grit through the bottom.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!