Redbird - awesome. Any other recommendations?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
pasquiniupgrader

#1: Post by pasquiniupgrader »

So, I'm loving my Redbird espresso mixed with 5 oz of steamed milk?
Does it get better than this?
Any other recommendations that you enjoy more?

Equipment
Marzocco GS 3
Mahlkonig k30

18 gm in
29 gm out in 27-28 sec

Thanks!

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

Mountain Air's Black Balsam. You can see my review here!

I go for:
18 grams in
32 grams out
25-30 second shot

Balthazar_B

#3: Post by Balthazar_B »

The Sermon from Verve Coffee Roasters is really nice. It's a bit different from Red Bird Espresso, but I assume you don't want something that is a virtual twin (otherwise, why look any further?). It's a wonderful combination of chocolate and fruit that is extremely well-balanced and harmonious.

RBE has been my perennial go-to blend for quite a while, and based on recommendations in this forum, I'm trying some Motoretta -- a comfort blend -- in the next couple of days. I'll post my impressions here.

Oh, and if you like RBE, you'll probably enjoy their Blue Jaguar Espresso blend.
- John

LMWDP # 577

JavaRanger

#4: Post by JavaRanger »

Balthazar_B wrote:
RBE has been my perennial go-to blend for quite a while, and based on recommendations in this forum, I'm trying some Motoretta -- a comfort blend -- in the next couple of days. I'll post my impressions here.
I've never had Redbird, but I love Motoretta!

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B replying to JavaRanger »

You should try some of their coffees (not just the espresso blends, but the others more suited to pourover or press). Jeff Pentel is not only a great craftsman with his roasts, but a very nice guy. And his prices are very fair indeed.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Bodka Coffee

#6: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Agree with Jeff being a nice guy. After purchasing from him I called and talked on phone for some info. Very approachable.

JavaRanger

#7: Post by JavaRanger »

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to set up an order this week... I like to get my new bean shipments on Friday. They are usually rested 3 days by then and Saturday morning I get to enjoy my shot pulling :D

JavaRanger

#8: Post by JavaRanger »

Anyone try Sugar Glider from intelligentsia coffee?

DanoM

#9: Post by DanoM »

I'd give Bodka Coffee a try. Great roasted beans I think. The Espresso Blend is a good one there, but for some really nice espresso don't shy away from their single origins. I copy down the roaster's flavor notes on each origin and have it on the espresso bench for reference - it's been a great learning tool and dialing in tool for getting various flavors out of the machine.

With my Strega and K10 I typically buy only single origin coffees, and it's a real adventure. Today I'm having some Bodka Konga beans, and it makes a great cappuccino. Generally I order about 5-7 varieties from Bodka at one time, and store them in the freezer until use.

(If/when we move to Japan the espresso equipment and a large supply of Bodka will be going with us to keep us in espresso until I locate a domestic bean supplier. David's beans are that enjoyable!)
LMWDP #445