Stumptown coffee preparation/tasting notes - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
michael

#51: Post by michael »

Was hoping that someone would have a recipe for the duromina 8)

Chert (original poster)

#52: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Speaking of the Duromina, I just cupped Mtn Air Roasting Duromina after a row of the coffees from our debut efforts with the Huky. Marshall's roast promises to wow, so sweet citrus mango.

I no longer have ready access to Stumptown roasts with the loss of a local account, sigh. Barracuda coffee in Richland changed roasters. I did pick up a bag of Colombia Los Picos from Metropolitan Grocery in Tacoma. Not only was it fresh roasted (purchased 5 days post roast) but not offered on the website. I did not realize Stumptown has selections you cannot order from their website. A nice sweet Colombian selection.
LMWDP #198

weebit_nutty

#53: Post by weebit_nutty »

michael wrote:Was hoping that someone would have a recipe for the Duromina 8)
If you like drip brew, Ethiopia Duromina was stellar in a standard PO. Since you ask, the recipe I use:
Brew device - Kalita Wave 185 glass cone w/ natural filter
Kettle - Kalita Wave, Grinder - Forte AP w/flat steel burrs
Brew Temp - 196F
Steps:
Pre-rinse filter twice in multiple short doses, Grind 20 grams of coffee, medium-fine. Initial dose to wet grounds and let bloom for about 30 seconds, and then pour to level coffee in short doses, maintaining level until 10oz is dispensed in about 3 minutes.

My most recent bag from Stumptown was Rwandan Huye Mountain. It didn't have the same clarity as Eth Duromina in the PO, but the Rwandan worked very well in the Sowden Soft Brew. Nice balanced notes, no bitterness, lots of body. I'm really liking the Sowden Soft Brew.

I have pulled shots with both coffees on my Cremina, and they were good but not as good as my home roasts.

It seems my home roasts are much better at espresso than most coffees I've purchased. In fact the only one I really enjoyed as espresso was Heart' Roaster's Stereo Blend.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Chert (original poster)

#54: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I purchased a bag of Hairbender for the first time in months. And I had a shot at their new account in Richland, WA: Sharehouse. It was nice, not at sweet or floral as shots I've had at home or at Stumptown. I glanced at the card with the bag. The card has a different taste profile than before. The prior taste notes were: "milk chocolate, caramel, jasmine, meyer lemon, apricot, and pineapple. Now: "cherry, toffee, fudge." Has it changed so much?
LMWDP #198

rittem1

#55: Post by rittem1 replying to Chert »

After reading your post I decided to stop in and buy a bag to see how much, if any, the flavor has changed since I bought it last. It used to be our go to blend for press before I started home roasting. The milk chocolate and caramel flavors used to be evident. This morning I did notice quite a change. It is more chocolate than milk chocolate and as it cooled I did pick up on some cherry notes which definitely weren't there before. I certainly understand that as coffees become unavailable it is hard to get an exact match to your blend but I am surprised to see such a change. Also, at least compared to my latest home roasts, the hairbender has noticeably less body.

So, to answer your question...yes :)
LMWDP #517

Chert (original poster)

#56: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I certainly understand that as coffees become unavailable it is hard to get an exact match to your blend but I am surprised to see such a change.
Right. It could certainly be difficulty to match that complex profile their prior tasting notes described. The new tasting notes are closer to Big Truck, another great northwest espresso blend. I'll pull another shot for myself but the one I pulled the other day was no cherry chocolate bomb. I'm thrilled to have Hairbender available nearby again as the latte drinker at home loves it in the rotation for her 7 ounce latte.
LMWDP #198

malachi

#57: Post by malachi »

rittem1 wrote:It is more chocolate than milk chocolate and as it cooled I did pick up on some cherry notes which definitely weren't there before.
Frankly, that's pretty odd sounding.
At Stumptown, our goal with the Hairbender was to always shoot for "dark chocolate covered cherry" as the dominant flavor in the shot.
rittem1 wrote:I certainly understand that as coffees become unavailable it is hard to get an exact match to your blend but I am surprised to see such a change.
Coffee is a seasonal agricultural product. The same cultivar from the same producer tastes different harvest to harvest.
rittem1 wrote:Also, at least compared to my latest home roasts, the hairbender has noticeably less body.
Viscosity and body are often the result of the barista and the machine more than the coffee.
What's in the cup is what matters.

Chert (original poster)

#58: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Thanks for posting, malachi; interesting to get your perspective on the blend.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#59: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Mexico (Oaxaca) la Sierra Mixteca organic makes a good single origin for espresso with dark chocolate that sweetens up very nicely with milk.
LMWDP #198

michael

#60: Post by michael »

Do you have a recipe 8)