Elektra Microcasa a Leva Review - Page 2

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary (original poster) »

I believe it was 2005 and the spring, piston and piston rod were changed. I believe the new spring is somewhat stronger but don't have a way of measuring it. The screws holding the lever cap onto the group are now stainless steel. In my 1989 model they were plain steel and had rusted. I was able to swap in the new spring in my 1989 MCAL, which required the new piston and piston rod, an unauthorized refit, but it worked well while I had it without issues and seemed to be an improvement over the booster springs I had installed. You would do such a mod at your own risk. I don't know if the group itself was changed. You would need to ask the folks at Elektra or an experienced, factory trained technician for those details.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary (original poster) »

peacecup wrote:It would be interesting to see the actual temperatures at the puck, instead of just the +/- values. I've always wondered what the brew temperatures were on these machines.
Hi Jack:

I reviewed my Artisan graphs and they didn't tell me much, probably because the thermocouple response was too slow at the coffee cake. The measurements mainly showed me that group temperature rises substantially more without a heat break gasket so that over time one would have to adjust how long you do a heat flush or whether you apply cooling to get a well temped shot with the same coffee. Prior experience with my 1989 MCAL demonstrated this. If I tried a walk-up shot of the same coffee at the same boiler pressure I'd attempted an hour earlier with good results, it pulled too hot. With a heat break gasket installed I could walk up and pull a similarly well-temped shot hours later.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Advertisement
nuanced

#13: Post by nuanced »

..... very informative and concise review ; I would like to buy a small section of the 0.03 Teflon gasket material if you have some left over .....

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary (original poster) »

No need to buy it. I'll bring the sheet so you can cut some for yourself at the Compass Coffee event on the 24th.
Gary
LMWDP#308

HB
Admin

#15: Post by HB »

While not part of the review, readers may find this continuation of the Newbie Introduction to Espresso series helpful since it features the Elektra Microcasa a Leva.
Dan Kehn

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Nice video, Dan. But hey, it's not so complicated! :lol:

For new users, keep in mind that you'll quickly get used to the basics. Writing as a die-hard leverhead, using a lever machine is like driving a stick shift, where you develop a feel for the car and the road that become second nature.
Gary
LMWDP#308