Profitec 700 and Scale - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
mbrown205 (original poster)

#11: Post by mbrown205 (original poster) »

Interesting about the ECM filter!

I am not a water expert. There is a very long document on this website about water, if you have the time to read it.

I usually just check to make sure there is nothing very poisonous or unhealthy in the water, the Ozarka looks good on that. You say you are using the Ozarka bottle water. Is that the spring water? The Ozarka has water hardness of 9-10 grains. That would qualify as being moderately hard water I think. Often bottle water has hardness because consumers find it tastes better. But I believe it is more likely to cause scale long term than a water hardness of, say, 2 or 3.

Could you mix the spring water 50:50 with the distilled water and bring the hardness down to 4? How would that taste? I carbon filter (Brita) my bottled water as it comes in multi gallon plastic containers and tastes of plastic if I don't filter it.

Or, what is your home water hardness? If it's about the same or less you could use that in the 50:50 mix and brita filter it for taste. Many people have bought under sink filters.

Mack
Mack Brown
North Carolina, USA

(I like ristretto)

JavaRanger

#12: Post by JavaRanger »

I read that article and still have no idea what to do, task is pretty good of the bottle stuff. My tap...ahhhh is okay. So is there a dif water I should buy here so I don't have to mix?

Maybe there is a Austin Texas area local who can give me water advice :D

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

mbrown205 wrote: You say you are using the Ozarka bottle water. Is that the spring water? The Ozarka has water hardness of 9-10 grains. That would qualify as being moderately hard water I think.
I think that may be 9.9-12 PPM of hardness not grains of hardness as the TDS is only 39-51PPM. Considering that the Ozarka Drinking Water lists hardness as 34 they can't be talking about grains of hardness..
LMWDP 267

JavaRanger

#14: Post by JavaRanger replying to JohnB. »

Huh :shock: ....So is that good that I am using the spring water or bad....Maybe I should just use the Crystal Geyser Natural Alpine like what Jim's insanely long water faq said http://users.rcn.com/erics/Water%20Qual...%20FAQ.pdf

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JohnB. »

If that is PPM listed then the water would be extremely soft, less then 1 grain of hardness and won't cause scale buildup..
LMWDP 267

#16: Post by mbrown205 (original poster) »

I think you are right, it probably is PPM. Everything else on that list appears to be PPM. Sorry if I mislead you.
Mack Brown
North Carolina, USA

(I like ristretto)

JavaRanger

#17: Post by JavaRanger »

The response from Ozarka.
Michael, Natual Spring water per the report is 9.9-12. We measure in milligrams per liter (mg/l). Hardness is caused by compounds of calcium and magnesium, and by a variety of other metals. General guidelines for classification of waters are: 0 to 60 mg/L (milligrams per liter) as calcium carbonate is classified as soft; 61 to 120 mg/L as moderately hard; 121 to 180 mg/L as hard; and more than 180 mg/L as very hard. The total dissolved solids are between 39-51 and they are measured in milligrams per liter (mg/l).
My Question is where do I really want these numbers to be? Also is there a chart that has them in mg/l, PPM and Grains? I guess I can do all the conversions. But where do I want them to be. I would like to be in the range where I don't have to descale. I will get the kits and test them myself in the coming days.

Advertisement
augkor

#18: Post by augkor »

There is a good chart for converting these different number scales here:

http://www.espressotec.com/everything-y ... r_hardness

#19: Post by mbrown205 (original poster) »

Thanks for posting that chart. It's quite useful.
Mack Brown
North Carolina, USA

(I like ristretto)

No_cureEspresso

#20: Post by No_cureEspresso »

This may information may help...when talking to Ken from Clive Coffee a month back or so about descaling a SS dual boiler like in the Profitec 700, he recommended to use Mavea water filtration system/pitcher. We want some minerals in our water for conductivity sake...distilled water and de-ionized water have too little minerals left in it and the sensors might not perceive it; and by contrast, regular tap or even fridge filtered water has too many. Reverse Osmosis may help prolong the life our the SS boilers since the system uses a membrane (aka filter) that 'filters' out the larger molecules, ions, and impurities in the water, but still leaving some smaller particles.

With all that in mind - I plan on using a Mavea once I get my Profitec 700 in a couple of weeks.