Add Preinfusion to La Marzocco Linea 3EE

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
dparham

#1: Post by dparham »

well Ive been looking around and Im kind of getting some idea of adding this preinfusion the hacker way of course for now lol Anyway , Ive read allot about adding a delay on make timer... needless to say I ordered one then when nit arrived I started really looking at it... it says 1.5amp max.. well Im sure thats not going to fly so I can just plug it inline between machine and pump and have instant preinfusion... so now Im rethinking it... My Linea is a 2007 3EE that I had repaired and now is my home machine ... Ive figured out one thing... if I dose and tamp then hold before locking in group... then use the hot water tap to warm my cup until pump kicks in then immediately lock and start shot.. my pressure is a little lower for a couple seconds... lol then steam boiler fill stops and all pressure is through portafilter... I'm more playing with this than being serious but it seems there is some difference in a softening blow to the puck... maybe a little sweeter but I haven't done this test that much and haven't done it scientifically ... jury is out... anyway... I do have one of those delay on make timers 120/240v at 1.5amp max... how would I incorporate this into the circuit and or can I?

on the other hand I was thinking... if I were to purchase this...

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/all-poi ... 21602.html

and wire it to first position off... second position just solenoid and third position the full circuit as it is now... would this work as a manual preinfusion?

dparham (original poster)

#2: Post by dparham (original poster) »

I just ordered this... maybe it will work for a 3 way!

3 position DPDT On-Off-On Rocker Switch is rated at 30 amp @12VDC, 16 amp @ 120VAC, 10 amp @ 250VAC. This switch is maintained meaning it stays locked in the selected position when the button is released. The contacts are sealed by gaskets to keep out contaminants that cause premature switch failure. This heavy duty switch mounts in a .83 x 1.48 inch hole and it has 1/4 quick connect terminals. Black body and button.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

You would need to check the draw on the pump. The only thing the relay will power is the pump motor so 1.5 amp may do it. You can get them with higher ratings. I had a nice one on my two group Faema years ago. Worked like a charm. You just put it inline with the hot leg of the pump.
Dave Stephens

#4: Post by dparham (original poster) »

Wow! Great! I will try! I was worried the rotary pump had more draw... I did see some others wih 5a and 8a... Maybe ill try this one and see what happens!

#5: Post by dparham (original poster) »

well... now this was EASY! I defiantly overthought this! lol

https://ci-16746563365-635d4031.http.at ... f19f4afa0d