LIDO 2 - Locking the setting effectively - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bostonbuzz

#21: Post by bostonbuzz »

I think the ring is unnecessary. My setting very rarely slips. Granted, it can be difficult to loosen after grinding espresso. If it's slipping try a bit more force, but not so much that you can't undo it. In short, use common sense to tighten it. For some reason when people grind with it for the first time they sometimes grab the metal burr holder instead of the obvious body which is a handle. Don't do that, obviously.
LMWDP #353

Exordium01

#22: Post by Exordium01 »

Are you guys grinding light roasts with your lido 2s? I'm tempted to get one and I'm not sure I want to wait for the lido 3.

Iseethestars (original poster)

#23: Post by Iseethestars (original poster) replying to Exordium01 »

Hi, yep, light roasts all the time. Its not easy, but works and is a sort of a workout;) i grind usually around 120 to 180 a day, no problem .. Though it needs pauses between ;)

#24: Post by Iseethestars (original poster) »

d.lark wrote:yes, I grind the same way most of the time, with the catch jar on my hip, with the bicycle motion. Unless its a light roast, in which case I usually sit down and prop it more securely against my thigh. I had it drift during a grind when I didn't do step 3 in the past, but haven't had it drift since I got the 'trick' down.

I add the jar after tightening, and I don't screw the jar in extremely tight, just secure enough that it won't loosen itself while grinding. e.g. I do turn the jar in all the way, but I don't use the jar to tighten the settings (I've done that before, and the settings tend to unlock when I try to unscrew the jar after grinding, being too tight and all). If you are using the jar to tighten the adjustment ring, that could be the problem.
tested today, and works like a charm - the jar needs to be locked very lightly, so it unlocks and not the locking rings ... Perfect grinds today.
thank you so much
Pavel

d.lark

#25: Post by d.lark »

Iseethestars wrote:tested today, and works like a charm - the jar needs to be locked very lightly, so it unlocks and not the locking rings ... Perfect grinds today.
thank you so much
Pavel
Glad it worked. :D

You must have a pretty strong grip to grind that amount of light roasted beans everyday on the lido 2. I do only about 40g each day and there are mornings where the thumb of my gripping hand feels sore.
Exordium01 wrote:Are you guys grinding light roasts with your lido 2s? I'm tempted to get one and I'm not sure I want to wait for the lido 3.
Yes, light roasts all the time, but it takes quite a bit of strength to do it.

OldNuc

#26: Post by OldNuc »

The new knob will make that grinding task easier.

bytheway

#27: Post by bytheway »

d.lark wrote:Looking forward to when the new burrs for the lido 3 is released so I can grab that
Are you going to replace the Lido 2 burr set with the Lido 3 burr set? Why? Is the Lido 3 burr set better or you just need new burrs?

#28: Post by Iseethestars (original poster) »

d.lark wrote:Yes, light roasts all the time, but it takes quite a bit of strength to do it.
Hi Derek,
yes, it works very well - very very small drifting when grinding the lightest roasts, but thats quite ok for now. What really helped to ease that was a device that we discussed with Rich in the other thread, currently here at a state of a leather strip that I wrap around the top of hopper than loop around thumb and under the palm to lock it ..... that allows me to not GRIP that much and grind with less strain on the left hand. Yet Panama Geisha for espresso yesterday gave me quite a workout, only 40g but Very hard indeed ... But, at least we have some fun, right? :D

Pavel

d.lark

#29: Post by d.lark »

bytheway wrote:Are you going to replace the Lido 2 burr set with the Lido 3 burr set? Why? Is the Lido 3 burr set better or you just need new burrs?
I wouldn't know which burr set is 'better', but it is said that the new burrs are easier to turn. Let's just say its mostly curiosity. But I may just get the burrs, or I may get the entire lido 3 as a second handgrinder. I'll probably decide when they're available.
Iseethestars wrote:Hi Derek,
yes, it works very well - very very small drifting when grinding the lightest roasts, but thats quite ok for now. What really helped to ease that was a device that we discussed with Rich in the other thread, currently here at a state of a leather strip that I wrap around the top of hopper than loop around thumb and under the palm to lock it ..... that allows me to not GRIP that much and grind with less strain on the left hand. Yet Panama Geisha for espresso yesterday gave me quite a workout, only 40g but Very hard indeed ... But, at least we have some fun, right? :D

Pavel
Hi Pavel,

could I trouble you to post a picture of how said leather strip works? I did follow the other thread, but I'm not sure how it works in practice. If it could reduce the amount of grip required for grinding, it would be wonderful.

if there is still slight drifting, it could be a lack of tension on one of the rings (adjustment/lock). Tightening them a hair tighter might be possible.

Here's one mod you might find useful; its an early addition I made for my lido 2 after having beans jump out often while grinding light beans.

#30: Post by Iseethestars (original poster) »

Hi Derek,
I will try to make a picture that would make it clear, though its all extremely simple at the moment .... say half inch leather strip long enough to be wrapped around the hopper top part at least twice and then around the thumb from below and across the palm ... I usually loop it around ring finger or pinkie just to secure it a bit more, but the friction is enough to have it self tighten and not slipping. It then pulls the thumb to the hopper and does not allow the grinder to turn when the force is applied to the handle. So you do not need to grip and just hold ...
My next phase will be probably to buy some leather gym gloves without fingers, tight fitting... and apply velcro to the palm, and to the tom of lidos hopper .... that should make it even more comfortable to grind a lot of light roasts.

Pavel