Bravo Debut - hand grinder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RAS

#21: Post by RAS »

Impressive & functionally beautiful Gilberto.

Amazing to see where hand-grinding has come to over the last couple years. Who would have ever thought, a couple years ago, that we'd have multiple contenders for a "serious" hand-grinder? From the Pharos, to the Lido, to the HG One, to the Hausgrind... And now the Bravo. Exciting times for those of us who get the satisfaction of hand-grinding.

My only question would be regarding the "hopper" capacity... how much can you get in there?
Bob

GILBERTO (original poster)

#22: Post by GILBERTO (original poster) »

Thank you very much. I will check exactly, but approximately 30 grams. could leave it the size that he wished but would have to increase the shaft size and turn the lever on the bearing, preferred not to do it.

arcus
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by arcus »

Yes, very impressive!

Carneiro

#24: Post by Carneiro »

Hey, Gilberto posted his grinder here already!

When Gil told me he was making a hand grinder with the 71mm burrs, I confess I was a little bit skeptical at first, considering how hard is to work with suppliers and metal shops for such a small project. But he's very persistent and now it's there! I'm happy our small coffee geek community here could help him with a lot of opinions and I could test early versions.

I can say the unit is very solid and stable, not a light one (not so easy to carry around as the base is large too). I couldn't make any taste comparison with other grinders, but my initial impression is that it delivers the 71mm burrs results. I prefer the smaller handle but for sure the big one is nice for those who can't deliver much torque.

Great work, Gil!

Carneiro

#25: Post by Carneiro »

RAS wrote:My only question would be regarding the "hopper" capacity... how much can you get in there?
I measured it few moments ago and it can get 30g at the level of the bearing. I think I could fit 10g more at the level of the housing, I'll try to measure it at night.

The beans were Red Brick from Square Mile, so probably really puffed dark roasts should occupy more volume per gram.

Márcio.

Carneiro

#26: Post by Carneiro »

Maximum 40g, filling it up to the edge.

beer&mathematics

#27: Post by beer&mathematics »

Wow! This is really cool and really love the different design approach. Really just beautiful to look at and it looks very different than anything currently available. Hope this is a big success :)
LMWDP #431

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#28: Post by EspressoForge »

Love the grinder. Looks like a great project.

Can the grinding unit come out from it's wide base? The base looks nice for at home and seems to solve the problem of trying to wrestle an alligator feeling with other large hand-grinders. But for travel, at least if it came apart would be nice. Do you have a total weight for the unit with and without the base?

day

#29: Post by day replying to EspressoForge »

I was kind of wondering something similar. If it is possible to remove it or modify the base then it seems like you could drill a hole in a countertop and dedicate part of a drawer to the grinder. Grind into a cup in the drawer, be completly stable and extremelly tiny and clean. But then i started thinking... What exactly is supporting the alignment here? Clearly the base flexes like crazy so, how is this thing keeping level with no posts etc?

If the little burr carrier is sufficient to align and rotate and adjust the burrs itself that seems like a perfect standalone item, dump the base and let everyone make their own base.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#30: Post by EspressoForge »

day wrote:I was kind of wondering something similar. If it is possible to remove it or modify the base then it seems like you could drill a hole in a countertop and dedicate part of a drawer to the grinder. Grind into a cup in the drawer, be completly stable and extremelly tiny and clean. But then i started thinking... What exactly is supporting the alignment here? Clearly the base flexes like crazy so, how is this thing keeping level with no posts etc?
I'm pretty sure alignment would be between the threaded housing you see (brass & aluminum I'm guessing w/ markers), and the shaft/bearings. The base really just looks like a way to stabilize the grinder on a table/counter, but sometimes hand-grinders stabilize in between the knees when sitting or on the hip better in my experience. But it does depend on how they are designed.