Quest M3 - Charge Temperature

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SlowRain

#1: Post by SlowRain »

I'm curious to know what charge temperatures other Quest M3 owners are using and for what batch sizes, processing methods, and desired profiles. I know that's a potentially broad request given all the different variables, but I'd like to get some suggestions. I realize all roasters are different, so there may be some variation. But, that's okay with me.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I charge immediately after dumping the previous roast, so at around 410F to 430F (205C to 215C). This is convenient, and you can slow down the drying phase by keeping the heat off. I typically aim for around 4 minutes drying.

I use from 112 to 225 grams; but if were buying my lots in kilos, I'd be doing 125 to 250 :wink: Lower charges result in faster roasts for the same ETs
Jim Schulman

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by FotonDrv replying to another_jim »

A big +1!!!

I rarely dose below 160g and not over 200g because my skills are lacking.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

SlowRain (original poster)

#4: Post by SlowRain (original poster) »

Can I assume those temperatures are for washed coffees, or do they work for dry-processed ones as well?

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim replying to SlowRain »

???

I like to have a half dozen coffees around; the empty one batch/start the next is the way I do this, regardless of coffee. This is one of the reasons I like the Quest -- I've done 20 roasts in a row like this, and the machine hardly broke a sweat. My old Franken P1 would have worked too; but I'd have been pretty deaf and exhausted by the end of it :lol:

Once the coffee is in, you will notice very dry coffees heating up fast, while wet coffees heat up slowly -- btw, this has nothing to do with the wet or dry processing, but with the moisture content (typically 8 %to 14%) determined by subsequent handling and aging

You can use the fan and heat to control the process. However, my feel is that the initial drying phase is best left almost uncontrolled -- a dry coffee heats up hast, which is what you want to preseve the moisture it has; a wet coffee heat up slowly, which is what you want to reduce the excess moisture. Therefore, forcing both to heat at the same rate may actually lower the roast quality. However, I have not done a designed experiment to onfirm this supposition.
Jim Schulman

lyle

#6: Post by lyle »

I roast 225 gram batches and I charge slightly below 200 Celsius.

The actual charge temp for me depends on my target roast level. In general, the darker I want, the cooler I charge, to give myself more development time. However, the actual range is quite narrow and the qualities of bean itself (density, moisture) affect the outcome.

Note: I am trying to follow Rao's guidance to keep the post-1C time ratio within the 20%-25%, and I never roast much darker than 2C.