Bezzera Family Lever - Page 12

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
peacecup

#111: Post by peacecup »

on my Sama the wires from the plug come to the top of the switch, one on each side. Yours are attached to the bottom. Could you have reversed these, or put the switch upside-down? It would not seem to matter in fact, but perhaps.

Otherwise it seems correct - one wire should go out of the switch directly to one pole of the heating element. The other wire should leave the switch, go through the thermal break, then the Pstat, then to the opposite pole of the heating element. One wire off each pole of the heating element to the pilot light. Then the pilot is on only when the heating element is on. The heating element is on only when contact is on through the thermal cutoff and the PStat.

I guess the Pstat is wired correctly? Even if not, that should not make the on/off switch light up in both directions.

Are you sure the on-off switch is good? Could there be loose connections or breaks in the terminal ends?

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#112: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

PC to the rescue! I didn't even think of the power switch being upside down--completely possible. I will check when I get home. I do need to buy a new one, however. When I took it out to clean it, I broke the tabs that hold it in place so it is all wiggly.

I'm going to order a new one so hope it fits (since most don't show dimensions...and so far, all the Bezzera parts seem to be from common sizes...)
LMWDP #431

drgary
Team HB

#113: Post by drgary »

I see that you took photos of your wiring during the tear down. That can help. It's helpful also to color code your rewiring job so you label hot, neutral and ground. For general concepts including circuit diagrams see this course for high school students.

https://www.nde-ed.org/EducationResourc ... _index.htm
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#114: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

It lives! .... sort of...

Electrical seems to be in order..dunno why it was acting funny last night. Mechanically, more work to do. :?

Filled it with water and turned it on. After 20 minutes, the pressure gauge was still at 0 even though I could hear the water coming to a boil. There was a small leak on the bottom of the water level viewer (few beads) so I'm not sure if that was the cause for pressure to stay at 0 or if it is something else. Let's see, the steam and water valves appear to be open since once the water was boiling water started to come out of both wands. Water leaked from thermosiphon connections so I'll need to address these too. This machine is so simple that I'm sure I'll figure things out eventually. I'm taking it slow and trying not to blow anything up.
LMWDP #431

drgary
Team HB

#115: Post by drgary »

Bigger boilers take awhile to show pressure. If you can feel it getting warm, that's good. The water's heating but it needs to start boiling for pressure to rise. Also those leaks probably have something to do with it, which is why this stage is called a "pressure test."
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#116: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

What does it mean when the steam and water wands always remain open? Also, water continuously shooting through group?
LMWDP #431

peacecup

#117: Post by peacecup »

it won't come to pressure if the valves are not sealed - air will keep escaping. That's good, because you need to do pressure tests slowly to be sure the Pstat is working. Keep a very close eye on it and if the pressure gets above 1.5 turn it off and open the steam valve to release pressure.

if the valves are leaking they probably need new seals. same with the group and sight glass. Also do it without the case and keep an eye out for pinholes in the boiler. Once you get all the seals up to snuff you can start doing better pressure tests.

But hey, at least it turns on and off now...
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#118: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

I feel so guilty making zero progress since January but hey life is busy now. Anyways I have had this machine since last summer and have yet to make espresso with it. :( I've decided I want to and rather pay for someone to make the final tweaks to get it in order.

Can anyone recommend a restorer/maintenance company in NYC area (preferably brooklyn) that could finish the job?
LMWDP #431

Javier

#119: Post by Javier »

beer&mathematics wrote: Can anyone recommend a restorer/maintenance company in NYC area (preferably brooklyn) that could finish the job?
Out of my head, I know of at least one H-B member in your neck-of-the wood that restores espresso machines. His name Tracy ("Brooklynshot").
LMWDP #115

#120: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) replying to Javier »

Sweet thanks -- I think I remember seeing posts by him/her a few years ago. I'll look into it
LMWDP #431