BKON for brewing coffee...

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
frank828

#1: Post by frank828 »

So this weekend i was over at the coffee championship in long beach and was able to see the BKON demo'd for coffee.

...since then, i have not been able to stop thinking about the coffee i was served. It was some of the sweetest coffee i've ever tasted(and ive tasted a LOT of coffees). I tasted two different beans and they both were similarly sweet. I dont recall what the specific coffees were but the brewer itself was what was the most interesting to me.

From what i gathered, the BKON uses an extremely coarse grind and with help of a vacuum, is able to brew a cup of coffee within 2 minutes. During the demo, an EK43 coffee grinder was being used. What was being explained was that the vacuum sucks out all the co2 that is being released and allows water to get into those voids and extract "more". The resulting coffees that i tasted were almost ridiculously sweet.

Did anyone else get a chance to try the coffee this weekend?

funny thing...i think the two demo coffees i tasted through the BKON were better than all the finalist coffees(best coffee/roasters comp thing) that they let the spectators vote on.

frank828 (original poster)

#2: Post by frank828 (original poster) »

Dangit. I feel like some brainwashed zealot. It sucks that so few people have experience with the bkon.

I can't be the only one here that's tasted coffee out of this thing...

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Not too long ago the BKON folks were doing events in conjunction with Counter Culture. I'd like to see more of that so others (including myself) can find out what the fuss is about. Thanks for the report!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

dustin360

#4: Post by dustin360 »

Tasted one coffee from it that was really nice, but by no means one of the best coffees I've ever had. Though the machine( or water) seemed to be able to take an underdeveloped roast, and make it palatable. I say that because I asked to take a little of the coffee they were brewing home to show to the folks at the cafe I work at. But the coffee just tasted underdeveloped. I would venture to guess if you had a med roast it might not work in that machine. Or you would have to dial the vacuum way back.

dustin360

#5: Post by dustin360 »

The coffee Juan penea Ecuador is a killer coffee too though, so I think that had lots to do with your enjoyment of it.

frank828 (original poster)

#6: Post by frank828 (original poster) »

dustin360 wrote:I would venture to guess if you had a med roast it might not work in that machine. Or you would have to dial the vacuum way back.
this was one of the questions i had for the guy after trying the two coffees. The two were very similar and i wonder if this machine is really only able to make a certain type of cup. Somewhat like a siphon. He told me that if i came back on sunday, he'd get some darker, heavier bodied coffee, so i can try it out. Unfortunately, i was only attending that saturday. I wish i had more time to play with the thing. Definitely intriguing.

The biggest problem i have with the thing is the price tag. 13k for one. It just doesnt make sense unless you have a ridiculous amount of disposable income.

dustin360

#7: Post by dustin360 »

Wow, I had no idea that it was that expensive. Id venture to guess if you used hell of hot water (like a siphon) and a fine grind You would get comparable results(with a similar roast level).I still have a tiny bit of the Juan penea left, I'll try brewing it With super hot water and a fine grind and see if I can snuff out the underdeveloped flavors that were prevalent in my standard pour over.

kaldi61

#8: Post by kaldi61 »

it seems to be a machine in the spectrum of the trifecta. if 13k truly is the price point, its above clover and commercial trifecta.. it would have to be earthshatteringly awesome to pick up some market share. I suspect they may adapt their method into a smaller package to make it more accessible and compete. If it was near me, I'd love to try it. Any coffee geek who's trying to make a better brewer deserves a chance. :D
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."