Cleaning agents for vintage paint finishes?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
grog

#1: Post by grog »

What do folks use for cleaning paint on vintage espresso machines? Just plain old soap, water, and elbow grease?
LMWDP #514

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I would always suggest you start mild and only go as far as you need. Dish soap and hot water to start to get an idea of where you are. Then I'd talk to the car guys, they know more about paint refinishing than most anyone else you'll find. Pull panels to see if you can find an edge that's been covered up to see what the paint looked like the day it shipped. If you need to buff it out a good body shop should have a paint thickness gauge so you will know how much is there to work with.

And if it's possible, try everything on a part that doesn't show so if you don't like it, you can stop before you cry.

Ira

pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

On my vintage road bikes I use the Lysol wipes with the scrub pad side to get stubborn grime off. A similar plastic scrubber (for Teflon pans) works well too. The main thing is to never use a scrubber that is harder than the finish. I cleaned my caravel to its original gray from a dirty brownish with a plastic sponge. For regular cleaning mild soap and water or rubbing alcohol is all I need.
LMWDP #366

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

I do not think there is one answer. It depends on the finish, the subsurface, presence of decals of stickers, value of the machine, and the condition of the finish. A microfiber towel and water to start would be reasonable. Possibly just a high quality carnuba, non-abrasive car wax.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done