Sticky La Pavoni coffee basket

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ozbob

#1: Post by ozbob »

I have recently acquired a little used 1980s vintage La Pavoni Europiccola 8-cup espresso machine, which performs excellently. However the filter basket does not have a spring clip to hold the coffee basket firm, with the result that the coffee basket (I use the 1-cup) sticks to the insert screen upon removal of the filter basket. After some jiggling and tapping, it will come free, although I am not sure how I manage to do it; it seems like there is a suction set up between the basket and the screen and/or its gasket. Is there a solution, because it is difficult to remove, whether hot or cold?

rpavlis

#2: Post by rpavlis »

Are you sure that the system is not under a partial vacuum? I have never had a problem like this and I use a similar machine daily. I do not like using the singles basket because it seems to have bad flow characteristics, and a full pull makes bitter espresso. I tend to use 14 grams to 18 grams, but I have to use an Elektra MCAL basket for 18 grams and for some coffees I need to use it for 16 grams. It is a bad idea to have the portafilter attached when the boiler is below atmospheric pressure, it tends to get coffee into the boiler.

You could also have a problem with a portafilter gasket that is made from an inappropriate polymer.

It is a good idea to remove the portafilter as soon as the internal pressure falls enough so as to not have portafilter "sneeze." If you turn it a bit whilst it is hot it will hiss a bit, from steam escaping around the gasket. Wait until the hissing stops and then remove it.

Remember that coffee beans are laced with ionic materials, especially potassium. There is also quite a bit of Ca and Mg. The beans also contain significant chloride which is rather corrosive to brass and copper and many other metals. Clean coffee residues from the machine immediately after using, best while it is still hot.

For these La Pavonis I suspect it would be very bad idea to have the filter basket with a spring. You absolutely MUST bleed the air from the portafilter by raising the handle until a bit of water is released after it begins to hiss and before you turn off the high element and before the first shot. Simply quickly raise the handle all the way for a second, and let as little water escape as possible. Then slowly lower it. It is a good idea to repeat this process twice. It is a good idea to have the portafilter on while doing this to warm it up to help prevent spongy pulls. (And you have just tamped the coffee in the basket.)

Make the first shot by removing the portafilter from the machine, putting the basket in it, and then raise the handle again until a tiny bit of steam escapes. Lower it just enough to stop any steam escape and quickly put the portafilter in place. Put the cup under the portafilter, raise the handle all the way, wait a few seconds and pull the shot. You might pull it down until a bit of espresso begins to emerge, quickly raise it all the way, and then make the shot. For the first shot this will make it about the perfect temperature. The second will not be far off if made soon, but later shots will be too hot, you may need the ramekin cooling or other cooling technique to make more without their being overheated. This will also avoid the "spongy" shot. If you do everything right, with a full pull you should get between 30 and 35 mL of wonderful espresso.

oofnik

#3: Post by oofnik »

La Pavoni made two styles of portafilters: one with a ridge for a spring and one without. The latter is more common, however I got lucky and have a ridge in mine. Maybe you do as well.
I cut a length of 0.8mm nichrome wire and made a clip out of that. It works perfectly, and it is still easy to pull the basket out for cleaning after every couple of shots.

Francesco Ceccarelli has documented how to modify a ridgeless portafilter on his website: http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... ro_eng.htm

ozbob (original poster)

#4: Post by ozbob (original poster) »

Removing the portafilter soon after pulling the shot is a great idea. Both times I did this the basket popped away no worries. I am staying with the single cup basket for now, since the results are very good, and if it ain't broke don't fix it -- anyway based on the way I have been doing it, type of beans, weight of beans dose, tamp pressure etc. I may get more adventurous going forward.

My portafilter is definitely ridgeless. It doesn't really bother me now I have a technique for releasing the basket easily -- but I will take a peek at Francesco's piece about that. Thanks for the tip, oofnik.