LIDO 2 Replacement Knob

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Boldjava

#1: Post by Boldjava »

Doug and Barb have responded to concerns about the turning knob on the LIDO2.

New part is here, complete with new shaft. Part is here: http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-LIDO-R ... _p_63.html

YouTube instruction is here, soy sauce not included: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDpgnd1VU9c
-----
LMWDP #339

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Ordered! It's a completely unnecessary upgrade for me, but I can't resist the latest/greatest accessory. Nice that there's a First Class mail shipping option for $2 and change.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

SlowRain

#3: Post by SlowRain »

I might consider this someday. The current one, while not ideal, isn't that bad.

Also, it looks like Doug and Barb have switched to tea.

beer&mathematics

#4: Post by beer&mathematics »

Love the rocket blower with Oe green in the background ;)

I think the knob would be an improvement in terms of feel with the soft handle, but not sure if it is worth the upgrade since I'm not that bothered by the original. What I would prefer would be a big round one like the Pharos knob

Anyone instal this yet?
LMWDP #431

DavidMLewis

#5: Post by DavidMLewis »

OK, I installed the new knob. It's a bit larger, has a soft rubber cover, and spins freely on the shaft. Since I had complained to Doug about the original, I figured I owed him the seven bucks when he responded with a new design. It does make the grinder a bit easier to use, certainly more than the 3.5% it added to my cost of ownership. It did not change my life: I'm still old and my body is still turning into my father's. If the original bothered you, I would say go for it. The replacement took a 7 mm open end wrench and about three minutes.

Best,
David

jbviau
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau »

Re: my pre-production/beta LIDO 2, it turns out that a 7mm wrench is too small, and an 8mm wrench is too big; I ended up using needle-nose pliers. Further complication: I discovered that my original shaft is not reverse-threaded, so the replacement shaft (which *is* reverse-threaded) doesn't screw in properly. Sigh. Looks like I won't be able to upgrade the knob unless/until OE begins selling replacement handles to go with them. No sweat, as the original knob works fine for me. You all have fun free-spinning!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

asicign

#7: Post by asicign »

I had also complained about the stiffness of the original knob. This was no longer a problem, but for the price I didn't have a problem getting the new soft knob. Replacement was a snap, and it does feel a little better. I have no complaints, and now I don't think I'd get a Pharaos-style knob if one became available.

grog

#8: Post by grog »

I didn't have an issue with the original knob or how freely it did or didn't spin, but purchased the new one anyway. I have to say it is superior. Better fit in one's hand and the free spinning is a noticeable improvement whilst grinding.
LMWDP #514

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by FotonDrv »

beer&mathematics wrote:What I would prefer would be a big round one like the Pharos knob

Anyone instal this yet?
I tried to buy one of the Pharos knobs and was told that I could not purchase one, and that was after the fact that I already owned (purchased from OE) a Pharos!

I gave up and put a fishing reel knob on it and love it now. So much easier to grasp with arthritic hands.

https://vimeo.com/118400058

I hate the color of the knob but I was in a hurry and accepted the error in shipping; I ordered the black one.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JavaMD »

I got both the new knob for my LIDO 2 and the Non-static Jar ... both are outstanding additions.
REALLY like the new knob. CUSHY on the hand!

Took my grinder apart for the first time and found a few rust spots in non critical areas... could be from RDT trials and could be that this is the grinder I take with me on my floats down rivers (although It hasn't been dropped in the water). Not unexpected ... when I get home I may consider treating them somehow ... they are in non-contact areas with the bean. Any suggestions?

Steve