Vacuum storage harmful? - Page 7

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Zendel

#61: Post by Zendel »

aecletec wrote:In what respect, sorry?
Surviving the vacuum-sealing and freezing. Sorry that wasn't clear.

aecletec

#62: Post by aecletec »

No worries, thanks for your response!
I personally have found that freezing in air leads to emphasis on the choc/nut flavours and loss of the florals, fruits... so probably not an issue if that's the preferred flavour profile of the coffee... but could just be me, too.

Advertisement
Zendel

#63: Post by Zendel replying to aecletec »

I haven't noticed the loss of floral/fruit flavors in other blends, but I since I tend to prefer chocolate/nut flavors it is possible I wouldn't notice. I just got two blends, in two pound bags, that I sealed and froze 8 oz portions. As I use them I will pay attention to any change in flavor profile and get back to you.

MpVpRb

#64: Post by MpVpRb »

Fascinating discussion, with many good points

The comment about vacuum disrupting the balance seems interesting, but methinks that the beans outgas for a short time, then achieve equilibrium. As long as no more gas is removed, it seems like equilibrium is maintained

I also wonder about the simplest solution..putting the beans in an airtight container at room temperature. Assuming the container is completely filled with beans with a small amount of air in between, it seems that the oxidation damage would be minimal and limited by the amount of oxygen between the beans. Yes, I know cold slows the oxidation reaction, but once the oxygen is gone, is there any reaction to slow?

aecletec

#65: Post by aecletec »

MpVpRb wrote:I also wonder about the simplest solution..putting the beans in an airtight container at room temperature. Assuming the container is completely filled with beans with a small amount of air in between, it seems that the oxidation damage would be minimal and limited by the amount of oxygen between the beans. Yes, I know cold slows the oxidation reaction, but once the oxygen is gone, is there any reaction to slow?
I have used and been trialling again containers labelled as airtight with air at room temp. I have found degradation to be significant day to day.
Whatever oxidation that may occur results in coffee not pleasing to my taste.

aecletec

#66: Post by aecletec »

The pressurised containers haven't seemed to be as good as argon thus far... the beans seem to retain flow rate but not flavour.

aecletec

#67: Post by aecletec »

I've tried the pressurised containers for several beans with and without refridgeration; they seem better than nothing but not as good as freezing for retaining flow rate and flavour.

Advertisement
genecounts

#68: Post by genecounts »

Jesse said:
quote]I'm just going to start splitting my beans into 4 oz mason jars (the smallest I could find) and flushing each with inert gas./quote]

That is exactly what I have done Jesse for last two years except I don't use inert gas. After 4 to 5 days of degassing, 60 grams into wide mouth half pints, vacuum and into freezer. 60 grams is two day supply for me, four shots out of the Cremina or three cups of Hario or Aeropress. Have not noticed any degradation of taste even after six months.

JavaRanger

#69: Post by JavaRanger »

I use these Stainless Steel Airscape Canisters. They don't let the light in and I store them at room temperature. I don't really buy in bulk, but I do buy 2 12oz bags at a time. Once I get the bags, I pull them out and put them in here.

Full Disclosure: I got them as a gift so my wife mainly thinks they look nicer than the bags.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitc ... d=10031892

aecletec

#70: Post by aecletec »

genecounts wrote:That is exactly what I have done Jesse for last two years except I don't use inert gas. After 4 to 5 days of degassing, 60 grams into wide mouth half pints, vacuum and into freezer. 60 grams is two day supply for me, four shots out of the Cremina or three cups of Hario or Aeropress. Have not noticed any degradation of taste even after six months.
Interesting! How do you vacuum the jars? Thanks!