Heating element on toper 1kg (gas)

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
toper.peter

#1: Post by toper.peter »

Hello everyone,

I am following this site in some time now. I know this is the place to come if I have any question about anything and this time it seems I have found my biggest challenge so far.
Not too long time ago I bought a Toper Cafemino 1kg Gas Roaster. It has gone through in small modifying (extra ET probe) but I believe it still needs some modification to be made. Roasting is new to me but as far as I can tell heat control plays an important rule in it. If you are not able to control the flame you are missing out something.
I wonder if any of you know Toper cafemino 1kg Gas Roaster and may have some suggestion how I can modify (what element I need to change) my Toper to be able to control flame level(heat).

I have already put a new gas regulator on the roaster and same time I had left off the "Nova Comet" high pressure gas regulator from the machine but without it mu Toper didn't catch on fire......
So because of no any other choice I had to put that back. After that everything was working perfectly I managed to get my machine working again but I can't control heat (only by switching on and off burner).

If there is any suggestion please let me know. I am keen on get roasting started but I want to do on a traditional, nicely controlled way.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I'll start by saying that I highly doubt this will work, but with a bit of precaution it would be easy to test. On Dustin's Santoker 500, you can control the flame output directly from the bottle (it was his preferred method, maybe still is). My 1 kilo roaster won't let you, the Honeywell controller will trip if the supply pressure drops. I fully expect a Toper to have similar build with the gas supply. But it wouldn't be hard to test. and find out rather quick and easily. Crank down on the bottle on a test run without beans, if the flame doesn't tame down and instead just goes out completely (which I expect) you have your answer. Shut off the supply completely, kill the ignition and let the drum cool down and ventilate the area.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

JK

#3: Post by JK »

On my North they must use a heat sensor..
If the flame goes out it cause the striker to start firing and it doesn't light the gas will shut off..

I didn't know there was some machines with a gas pressure sensors..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!