Refurbished Mazzer Super Jolly or new Rancilio Rocky

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pentepoxes

#1: Post by pentepoxes »

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so please take it easy on me! :)

I have been around these forums for more that a year without actually registering, just observing and reading. Now it feels like the right time for me to upgrade my equipment and slowly start moving forward a more quality setup for espresso starting with my grinder.

After doing my research I have resulted to two options (if anybody else has another Im happy to consider it). I have a budget of 250 pounds with an absolute maximum of 300 if something good comes along. (That is $380 to $450, give or take a few bucks).

Option number one

Buy a new Rancilio Rocky grinder

Option number two

Buy a refurbished/used Mazzer Super Jolly.

What do you think? I am actually geared towards the Jolly for obvious reasons but I am very sceptical whether I should buy a use one.

Does anyone have any experiences for buying a used grinder? Any tips or things to look out for when buying such used equipment online?

Any big no nos or specific parts of the grinder I should make sure they are in good condition before purchase?

P.S: I used the search button to find related posts but I couldnt find any on buying used grinders.. I apologize in advance if I am repeating somebodys else question.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

The thread New Rancilio Rocky vs. used Mazzer Super Jolly is from 2009, but my recommendation is unchanged: Definitely, absolutely, and without a doubt get the used Super Jolly. As for your second question, see How to evaluate condition of used Mazzer grinder.
Dan Kehn

Bikeminded

#3: Post by Bikeminded »

What Dan said.

I have a barely used Rocky for sale though! Grr. :x

JmanEspresso

#4: Post by JmanEspresso »

Buying a used commercial grinder is generally a safe bet, especially if it looks is good shape. They're built like tanks, and Mazzers are the best built of them all.

Most of the time, IF anything needs to be replaced, its the burrs. And that is a cheap and quick job anyone can do. Here in the US super jolly burrs are around 40 bucks.

cygnusx1

#5: Post by cygnusx1 »

In hindsight, I would have never got a Rocky. At the time, I didn't know any better. Now I do, particularly from the HB forums.

Welcome aboard! :)

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#6: Post by EspressoForge »

Friend of mine bought a pretty beat up SJ from an old coffee shop. It still worked great. Burrs may have shortened life, but at home it'll take you a while to fully wear them out. Of course you can always order a new set and have them on hand, just keep in mind that brand new burrs will then take some time to break in anyway.

A used SJ from closing coffee shops used to be one of the best deals you could find around for espresso grinders. I still think they are a good grinder, but these days my local market it seems like prices have risen on them. Makes looking into a Vario or hand grinder more attractive, but all depends on price vs your market and what else you can easily get. Here in the US we are a bit spoiled on prices IMO.

day

#7: Post by day »

SJ
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

beta14ok

#8: Post by beta14ok »

^ +1....get the SJ.

My past 2 grinder, (both of which I still use regularly), we used consumer grade machines:

- Mazzer Super Jolly (ex Starbucks)
- Faema S6 (ebay)

both are indeed built like tanks, with massive high torque motors.

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. »

No question that in a Rocky vs. XXX, likely the XXX is the best bet. The Rocky was a good buy 15 years ago. Not any more.
In regards to Rocky vs. SJ, there is no comparison. The SJ wins on all levels. If it runs smoothly and doesn't sound like it has bad bearings in the motor, get the SJ and a new set of burrs and enjoy a great grinder for the next few decades.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done