Does a high-end prosumer espresso machine require an immediate upgrade of my Baratza Preciso? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
davestar (original poster)

#21: Post by davestar (original poster) »

samuellaw178 wrote:By no mean I am implying Preciso gives the same cup characteristic as big conical nor I'm disagreeing with your statement. Where you're at is what I considered 'high level field'. For someone just started into espresso journey, there's no way one can appreciate the cup that big conic brings to the table as compared to a small conic like Preciso, with so many variables going on, while trying to zero in on the espresso taste profile as a whole. That's why I categorized (according to OP) it as 'moderate bottleneck'. To be able to taste the big vs small conic and eventually appreciate the difference, one needs to be consciously tasting, learning and developing the palate. That at least holds true in my experience.

When dialed in, all decent grinders such as Preciso can bring out the coffee origin flavors and represent what the roast master is trying to portray. That's what I considered as a decent grinder - it does its job and get out of the picture of the whole espresso production chain. It does not distort the flavor in any way.
Thanks, this is the perspective that I was hoping to get. I just dropped a decent pile of money on an espresso machine that I'll have for at least 5-10 years. I'd like some recovery time to convince myself that it wasn't crazy to spend $2K on an espresso machine before I go and drop another thousand on a grinder. Just wanted to make sure that I'll have a good intro to espresso experience (and results) with the Technika IV Profi/Preciso pairing.

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#22: Post by boar_d_laze replying to davestar »

Dave,

With props and respect to Sam... While it's what you were hoping to hear, it doesn't work that way. Crazy is throwing a $3600 jumping saddle on a $300 horse with the expectation of learning you made a good investment in the tack. As long as it's on a $300 horse, it's not a good investment.

Equestrian 101: As long as the stirrups adjust and the saddle stays on, when it comes to jumping, it's the horse.

Barista 101: As long as your machine is competent, when it comes to in the cup espresso qualities, it's the grinder.

If you can't afford a great grinder now, you can't afford it. They run $1000 and up. It's not worth crying to sleep over, but don't kid yourself. Start saving and upgrade when you can.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Compass Coffee

#23: Post by Compass Coffee replying to boar_d_laze »

There's truth in that. I can pull a better shot with a $2000 grinder and $100 espresso machine than with a $200 grinder and $10,000 espresso machine. And have demonstrated this with couple decades old Krups Gusto $100 espresso machine.

That said I also do believe the basics and consistent results can be learned in either scenario without a world class horse or grinder. However world class results cannot be attained in either scenario without both world class skill and without world class tools. In the case of espresso all four M's must be world class to attain world class results = exceptional espresso.

Though in reality everybody's goal isn't necessarily exceptional espresso, good to very good may be good enough.

While I'm not an equestrian I disagree top grade tack paired with a less than top blood line horse would necessarily be a bad investment. Just as would be easier to learn with a solid consistent espresso machine paired with entry level grinder than a finicky espresso machine (like Miss Silvia) paired with same entry level grinder.
Mike McGinness

rpc415

#24: Post by rpc415 »

davestar wrote:Thanks for the replies. I think I'll hang on to my Preciso for a couple months and upgrade once I've gained some basic espresso skills. I'll probably better appreciate the bump in grinder quality then... and I'll have somewhat recovered from the sticker shock of my espresso machine.
I was in a similar situation and learned/am learning the craft of espresso. I am now looking to upgrade from the preciso (about a year in) but am grateful that a $300 grinder allowed me to start pulling shots at home. As others have said, once going to lighter roasts the preciso struggles but still makes a drinkable shot - just nothing to write home about.