Help with espresso making.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
napsta2580

#1: Post by napsta2580 »

Hello All,

First post ever about coffee and need some help.

I am really struggling to make a decent espresso and hence make lattes and cappuccinos taste bad as well.

I use a soft brew and a moka express. I use roasted beans from different suppliers and grind using a burr set to a fine setting.

It doesnt matter what bean I use they smell amazing before but as soon as I make it into an espresso it tastes weak and doesnt smell of coffee. It tastes just warm and muddy if that makes sense. Maybe even a little woody.

I have tried using bottled water to change the taste and this makes it slightly better but not alot better. Im not getting that rich smell at all if any smell at all.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as love coffee but would love to be able to make restaurant quality at home and its just not happening.

Thank you for any help.

Many thanks

Chris.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

The two pieces of equipment you need to make an espresso are an espresso machine and a decent grinder. You do not appear to own a "real" espresso machine and you do not list the grinder you are using.
Nespresso pod machines are among the lowest forms of life when it comes to trying to get a decent espresso (nothing personal). If it is making something drinkable for you, that is great. The pods they use are also expensive, and I do not ever remember reading anything from the members of this forum extolling the virtues of anything from Nestle (all FWIW).
The Snowden is a an immersion brewer.
The Moka Express is a stovetop brewer that makes a weak espresso or a strong coffee, depending on how you look at it.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
napsta2580 (original poster)

#3: Post by napsta2580 (original poster) »

Hi Randy,

Thank you for your reply,

I use a Hario Burr grinder with ceramic Burrs.

I don't personally like the nespresso machine. But it is only only thing that has worked for me this far.

I like strong coffee but seem to get no where near it with regards to taste and body.

So I guess I need to get a espresso machine and see where I go from there. I am just a little confused as it doesn't matter what beans I use or method (Snowden or Moka Express) it smell and tastes the same.

My journey continues.....

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#4: Post by EspressoForge »

There's a lot of good advice around this site. My advice would be to look more at the How-Tos and Reviews, and to see what you should try to pursue. If you like espresso, it is a big commitment in both money and time. You can get strong coffee with other brew methods, just make sure you are using enough coffee! I've seen many people brew coffee and not realize that when they use very little grounds, they get a very weak cup.

Something like an Aeropress or your Moka pot should be capable of a stronger cup as well. Try to look up some youtube videos of others using your Moka pot, or check out the brewing forum which has some advice there: /brewing/

One last thing, you mentioned it doesn't matter what beans you use, that they smell and taste the same. This is a very common problem with stale coffee. Eventually all the good flavors in coffee vaporize and are gone, what you are left with is less taste, and generally all coffees will start to taste like each other (even from vastly different origins), only light vs dark roast will have much of a difference. Try to order some good coffee online in 5lb and freeze it in smaller bags once you get it. Check out this list:
List of our Favorite Roasters