My Europiccola is haunted

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dominico
Team HB

#1: Post by dominico »

I have a spooky feeling that my latest Europiccola came with an espresso loving ghost. It exhibits a very peculiar behavior which is not present in my other machines. After making a coffee or two and turning the machine off, a few minutes later the lever rises on its own accord, and rather quickly I might add. The first time I saw it I sprinted across the kitchen because I thought in that instant that the group was going to open and release hot water all over my toddler playing in the kitchen near the counter. The lever stops just short of opening the group. My counter tops are rather high, so perhaps the ghost is a short old Italian man who can't quite reach high enough to lift the lever all the way.

A way more boring but seemingly logical explanation would be negative pressure in the boiler as the vapor is recondensing into water, which sucks the piston back up the group pushing up the lever.
Why then would this one machine do that when I have never seen this behavior from the other three Europiccola's I own or used to own?
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Saber

#2: Post by Saber »

Because that one Europiccola has the perfect mixture of "tight seal between piston and cylinder wall", and "sufficient lubrication to slide easily"- vapor pressure did its job.

Alternately, Enzo wanted an espresso but couldn't quite lift the lever.
"It's all fun and games until someone cracks the puck."

LMWDP #732

day

#3: Post by day »

Happens to me too. Fresh seals and lube.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

crazy4espresso

#4: Post by crazy4espresso »

Ah yes, the "Lever Erectus" phenomenon. No need to call Ghostbusters.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

rpavlis

#6: Post by rpavlis »

When newly serviced the lever will often rise as the vapour pressure of the water falls inside, and then when the lever reaches the top air will rush in. The lever may quickly descend at this point, and then rise a second time as the boiler cools further.

Tinkershot

#7: Post by Tinkershot »

My Cremina does the same thing, but only after the rod washer, seals on the piston and group were replaced and lubricated. It usually happens after I've pulled a shot and let the machine cool down. After turning the machine on again, the lever will drop again as the machine heats up. :D
Wine is fine but coffee is divine!

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by samuellaw178 »

Also to note this doesn't happen on levers with vacuum relief valve (a working one that is, not stuck) :mrgreen: