Minneapolis Airport

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
boxerboxer

#1: Post by boxerboxer »

Anything worth drinking specifically in the airport? I have a layover there in Sunday and am hoping to find something drinkable.

JavaBuzz

#2: Post by JavaBuzz »

Never had coffee/espresso there myself, but my wife travels for work often and says that World Bean Coffee is pretty good for airport coffee. If she has espresso it's usually an americano or almond milk latte; she travels with a Hario v60 and Porlex.

I believe it's at the far end of the Concourse G wing; looks like it goes by the name Taste of World Bean as well.

I know last time I was in the airport (a couple weeks ago) I saw they had Cafe Vita beans, which I thought was impressive for the airport.

Otherwise, there's Dunn Brothers and Caribou which are local chains that should be a small step up from Starbucks.

Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava »

JavaBuzz wrote:Never had coffee/espresso there myself, but my wife travels for work often and says that World Bean Coffee is pretty good for airport coffee. . .
Cute article from Sprudge on World Bean: Minneapolis Airport

Yep, Terminal 1, Concourse G.

Now and then you can catch a decent brewed cup at Dunn Brothers. Very inconsistent roasters.
-----
LMWDP #339

skittles_s

#4: Post by skittles_s »

Coffee? What about beer? You should be able to find some Surly - arguably the area's best craft brewer - on tap somewhere in the airport. Maybe someone will have their Coffee Bender on offer. :lol:

Pro tip: though it's been a while since I've been in MSP, there used to be a little-known observation deck which was a quiet place to spend some time. From the main Mall-ish area, head north towards the very small/nubbish Concourse D. Just as you start to enter the gate area, look to your left. You should see a small staircase that almost looks as though you shouldn't go up it; go up it! I've whiled away many hours up there working, reading, and enjoying the air traffic. Watching a 747 take off from there is especially nice.

boxerboxer (original poster)

#5: Post by boxerboxer (original poster) replying to skittles_s »

Thanks all - your replies reinforce what I was seeing on Yelp but I was hoping for a hidden gem :)

I'm from close enough to MSP that I'm well aware of Surly's offerings, but that's excellent advice. As for the observation deck, my layover should give me time to check it out. Much appreciated.

Boldjava

#6: Post by Boldjava »

boxerboxer wrote: I'm from close enough to MSP that I'm well aware of Surly's offerings, but that's excellent advice. ...
<Clears throat...>

If I may, being from the east side of the Mississippi, go for some Summit (St Paul beer/ale) instead. Try an oatmeal stout, then their EPA. Or just do a black 'n tan.

http://www.summitbrewing.com/brews/oatm ... re-to-find

<St Paul commercial ends...>
-----
LMWDP #339

skittles_s

#7: Post by skittles_s »

Boldjava wrote: If I may, being from the east side of the Mississippi
Last I checked, Prospect Park is also on the east side! :mrgreen:

boxerboxer (original poster)

#8: Post by boxerboxer (original poster) »

Haha, like I said, I'm from the area :)

Which means I know your recommendation is also solid.
Boldjava wrote:<Clears throat...>

If I may, being from the east side of the Mississippi, go for some Summit (St Paul beer/ale) instead. Try an oatmeal stout, then their EPA. Or just do a black 'n tan.

http://www.summitbrewing.com/brews/oatm ... re-to-find

<St Paul commercial ends...>