Lambro upgrade - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
zeb

#31: Post by zeb »

Kees's taps are Vibiemme like this :

http://www.eevad.com/eevad/product_info ... _id/114769

noddyc43

#32: Post by noddyc43 »

UFGators wrote:Does your machine have auto fill? Where is manual boiler fill lever?
I am guessing it is auto fill as u can see the water level probe in the second pic on the previous page. Also the gicar controller is locate at the back/bottom of he machine. Nelisb the pump is external I believe? This is a killer setup of a lambro.

NelisB (original poster)

#33: Post by NelisB (original poster) »

I had the lambro plumbed in. No pump, just the line pressure to fill the boiler when the water level drops beneath the probe. And yes, the Gicar is the controller for the valve.

I now have water from a tank. Pumped with a Shurflo Whisper King. But that pump is just a little too light to get water into the boiler when the boiler is under pressure. Sometimes it will fill, sometimes it won't. I need a different pump, or I have to place the tank higher. Right now, it is under the Lambro, so the pump also has to deal with a meter height difference.

nickw

#34: Post by nickw »

Beautiful project Niels!

The Lambro's are beautiful! Seeing yours and Vlad's makes me want to restore one of my own!
Although I've been considering a Londinium for the pure convenience of buying new.

How do you find the group temperature when:
- at idle via thermosyphon
- and pulling multiple shots

Cheers!

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by FotonDrv »

NelisB, beautiful work!

I too am interested in the Pstat elimination and PID control.

Thanks for the great read :D
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

vberch

#36: Post by vberch »

Nick, I did an extensive temperature analysis when I got my Lambro. Here is a link to the study: Faema Lambro Brew Temperature.

Here is a summary: "... group is coasting at 178F pretty much all day long. After a lot of testing I figured out that I need the group to be at 175F - 176F to produce the sub-200F shots I like. If I insert a room temperature portafilter, the group goes down to 175F -176F in two minutes, enough time for me to prepare the basket. If I don't insert the portafilter, the group stays at 177F - 178F. It works like a clock. It is much easier then Cremina, where I have to rinse and reinsert portafilter 2 or 3 times to get the temperature down (although I often just turn the Cremina off between shots with the cold portafilter in the group and the group cools down in 10 min or so. I do it at the consulting site.).

With this routine I let the group coast at 178F, insert a room temperature portafilter in, prepare the basket, insert a bottomless portafilter with the basket, do a 15 sec preinfusion (I know it is long preinfusion, but I need a longer preinfusion with the lower boiler pressure), preinfusion starts at 199 - 200F, raise the lever, extraction starts at 199 - 198 and goes down to 193F. At this point the group temperature is at 178 - 179F. Without any delay I can insert a room temperature portafilter and pull another shot in 2 minutes, enough time to dump a spent puck, wipe the screen and the basket, grind some coffee and prepare a new basket. I can do back to back shots all day long with basically no shot to shot difference (1F - 2F max).

So if I want a cooler sub-200F shot, and I am pulling a shot after machine has been idling, I walk up to the machine, insert a room temperature portafiler, prepare the basket, pull the shot. If I want a hotter, 200F - 201F shot, I don't insert a room temperature portafilter and pull the shot.

This is pretty awesome if you ask me. I am done testing and removed my group thermometer and mount it where it belongs, on Cremina."
nickw wrote:Beautiful project Niels!

The Lambro's are beautiful! Seeing yours and Vlad's makes me want to restore one of my own!
Although I've been considering a Londinium for the pure convenience of buying new.

How do you find the group temperature when:
- at idle via thermosyphon
- and pulling multiple shots

Cheers!

nickw

#37: Post by nickw »

Thanks Vlad. That sounds incredibly well tuned!

Curious if you have you played around with various preinfusion times? Say 6 seconds like some of the L1 crowd, 15 seconds (as you do), or until drops appear, and how that changes things? Just guessing, but is it a balance between clarity and body? And 15s sounds is a split?

Cheers!

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by FotonDrv »

My pre-infusion on my L-I varies by the grind, tamp and the bean and how long an extraction I want, the 6 second rule is sort of arbitrary with my L-I.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train