Recommendation on best grinder <$1500

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bolstep

#1: Post by Bolstep »

hi. The grinder would be paired with my la spazialle s1 at my home. Things I require:

1- infinite adjustment dial
2- no hopper
3- no clumping

Nice to have:
1- push a button to get predefined amount out

Please tell me WHY you recommend a specific grinder when you reply. Thanks!!!!!!

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#2: Post by EspressoForge »

No hopper, yet you want to push a button to get a certain amount out? Overall that seems conflicting, and the things you require are quite generic (infinite adjustment dial...which I assume you mean stepless here as nothing is infinite). No clumping? Mostly far as I know that's more a factor of your environment (high humidity), the opposite being static (low humidity).

But overall, ignoring all your requirements, if I had $1500 to spend, and it had to have a motor. I'd go with a Compak K10. Without a motor I'd stick with my HG-One. Reasoning on both is the same, I feel grind quality is very high on these grinders.

Sticking with a couple of your requirements & nice to have...if I wanted to sacrifice some of the convenience of a conical (minimal grind adjustments) but gain some convenience in dosing, I'd go with a Mahlkonig K30 Vario. This is assuming you don't need to change beans a lot and would empty a blend before changing. Maybe your no hopper requirement is really about being able to single dose shots?

Advertisement
weebit_nutty

#3: Post by weebit_nutty »

Bolstep wrote:hi. The grinder would be paired with my la spazialle s1 at my home. Things I require:

1- infinite adjustment dial
2- no hopper
3- no clumping

Nice to have:
1- push a button to get predefined amount out

Please tell me WHY you recommend a specific grinder when you reply. Thanks!!!!!!
As I understand the driving factors for these requirements, I think the closest you'll get to satisfying them is with a Baratza Forte.

You can dose an approximate amount and hit a button to have it grind you the exact amount with no need to measure. Then flush the remainder, or you can be exact and pre-measure and just run the grinder until all the beans have passed through it. While there is less waste with the latter, typical single dosing method, although I do see an advantage with the former.. It's much faster, and the grounds are more consistent.

The Forte has never clumped, as it has a straight-through grind path. The micro adjustments, while technically stepped, are more than enough to get the exact grind you are after. Personally I've never found a need to adjust by one step. it's usually 3, sometimes 4 micro steps to get the right grind size.

I
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?