What SO's are you roasting for holiday for gifting?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#1: Post by Boldjava »

A former boss, best one in a 40-year career, flew cross-country and surprised me when I retired 18 months ago. Time to roast his holiday coffees.

Descended the steps into the mancave cellar to roast for him. Opened the:

• Kenyan Embu Gakui PB from Shrub and the
• Yemen Red Cherry Haraaz I distributed this summer.

Best I had in inventory and enjoyed sealing the flat rate envelope and sending them his way.
-----
LMWDP #339

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'm roasting the Sumatra Lintong Aek Nauli, and also the two you mentioned, for my friends and family members who appreciate fine coffees. For the rest, I have put together a very approachable holiday blend.
LMWDP #435

johnny4lsu

#3: Post by johnny4lsu »

Boldjava wrote:A former boss, best one in a 40-year career, flew cross-country and surprised me when I retired 18 months ago. Time to roast his holiday coffees.

Descended the steps into the mancave cellar to roast for him. Opened the:

• Kenyan Embu Gakui PB from Shrub and the
• Yemen Red Cherry Haraaz I distributed this summer.

Best I had in inventory and enjoyed sealing the flat rate envelope and sending them his way.
Perfect example of how awesome this hobby is.. Thanks for sharing

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Picked up 10 pounds of a nice Brazil Conquista from green coffee coop. Solid coffee, not too fruity, nutty, acidic, well balanced and easy drinking. You dont want to go too exotic with a lot of folks. Cranking up the roaster tomorrow and running 7 pounds thought it. Should not take more than an hour and a half with the new rig.
Dave Stephens

thepilgrimsdream

#5: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

I'm pretty broke, but i'm roasting 5lbs of Ethiopian Sidamo Wet Process and Trader Joe's sells some decent chocolate for a good price. Should be a nice little bundle :)

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

Yirgacheffe Jinbar, purchased from Boldjava.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

UseIt4Toddy

#7: Post by UseIt4Toddy »

Working through 5# of Kenya Kirinyaga Kamwangi AB right now. Thankful I finally got around to building an external cooling unit. Happy Holidays,

MSH

#8: Post by MSH »

When it comes to roasting for family and friends I tend to take the safe approach. Most aren't coffee freaks like myself. They tend to use auto drip machines and many add cream, etc to their coffee. I like roasting Centrals for gifts and 90% of the time it's going to be a Guat, since it's my favorite Central. Guats are always clean, approachable, crowd pleaser coffees that take a wide range of roast levels well. I tend to roast to City/City+ levels for myself, but when it comes to gifts I tend to go FC to just short of FC+

rgrosz

#9: Post by rgrosz »

Roasting up my last pound of Kona 2012 for the family.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

Boldjava (original poster)

#10: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

For our dining, roasted up Mill City's Mandheling, one of the best Sumatrans I have had in years as well as their Guat Buena Vista. Let the eating begin.
-----
LMWDP #339