Red Bird Coffee - Why they will always be my favorite roaster.

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

While the quality of coffee is certainly important, I would argue customer service is another vital component, especially to an industry so hands on like coffee. Well, Red Bird, has managed to master both categories. Today I received two pounds of their espresso blend and I was pleasantly surprised to find chocolates in my box, chocolates! Not only that, they managed to personalize my order even further by writing me a small thank you note on the invoice. I've never yet had a company have that much gratitude towards their customers, I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of coffee and service.. I think I might have finally found my favorite roaster! Not to mention.. 5lbs for $50.. I'm all for it.

heavyduty

#2: Post by heavyduty »

Yes, most here that have ordered from Jeff have received pcs. of candy, and I've gotten thank you's on invoices from many roasters.
I've also received free from other roasters: magnets, stickers, 4oz. samples, a mug (when my order was wrong & replaced next day air) and even a whole pound of beans when a roaster was out of the country when I placed an order. The roasters in no particular order: Kickapoo, Venia, Verve, Bodka, Kifu and others I probably don't remember. Excellent customer service will usually get repeat orders from me.
BTW, you should try the Red Bird Ethiopia Sidama Red Cherry Premium as espresso while it is still available.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

That's good to know, I've recommended them a few times to San Diegans but never tried them myself.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

spressomon

#4: Post by spressomon »

Yes...another Redbird fanboy here! A tasty Redbird "self blend" (per Jeff) we enjoy very much: His Sumatra Permata Gayo and Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Wote Konga @ 50/50. And this blend excels with unusually long post roast rest (14-days+).
No Espresso = Depresso

Bodka Coffee

#5: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I ordered some Red Bird Espresso to try. I don't very often order coffee but I'm gonna give it a swing. :D

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon replying to Bodka Coffee »

Maybe just me but after trying most of his beans his espresso blend left me with meh; Curious to hear your thoughts.
No Espresso = Depresso

Balthazar_B

#7: Post by Balthazar_B »

I grind more Red Bird espresso beans than any other. Jeff manages the right amount of roast (to my taste) and is incredibly consistent. The results are more "comfort" espresso -- rich, full-bodied, with sweetness and chocolate on the palate -- than Nordic, third-wave style, but that's what I tend to prefer as my everyday shot. He's a great craftsman with several other of his coffees I've tried with pourover and press brewing.

And there's probably nothing better on a winter day in Bozeman than to be roasting beans.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Advertisement
DrugOfChoice

#8: Post by DrugOfChoice »

LukeFlynn,
I totally agree that Red Bird has great customer service, but I've also gotten great CS and unexpected personal touches from several other roasters. Maybe something about the kind of people who go into the artisan coffee business.
Bodka Coffee wrote:I ordered some Red Bird Espresso to try. I don't very often order coffee but I'm gonna give it a swing. :D
Dave,
I have had your Main Squeeze and think of Red Bird Espresso as being a similar style. I'm not really an espresso guy, so I brew these coffees as drip, Aeropress, syphon, Clever dripper, etc. I really enjoy brewed coffee using these nominal espresso blends that are (more or less) medium roast, with a flavor profile of chocolate and nuts, but with some fruit/berry notes on top.

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

outside of the larger roasters out there, I find an equal level of customer service. For them it is a passion thing and they are happy to discuss their craft.

Bodka Coffee

#10: Post by Bodka Coffee »

DrugOfChoice wrote:LukeFlynn,
I totally agree that Red Bird has great customer service, but I've also gotten great CS and unexpected personal touches from several other roasters. Maybe something about the kind of people who go into the artisan coffee business.

Dave,
I have had your Main Squeeze and think of Red Bird Espresso as being a similar style. I'm not really an espresso guy, so I brew these coffees as drip, Aeropress, syphon, Clever dripper, etc. I really enjoy brewed coffee using these nominal espresso blends that are (more or less) medium roast, with a flavor profile of chocolate and nuts, but with some fruit/berry notes on top.
Yes, I sell Main Squeeze locally to customers without espresso machines. So you aren't the only one doing that.