Ninety Plus 2014 - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

New coffee delivery today! And excited to be trying my first Ninety Plus "Level Up" Ethiopian. A really nice Sidamo with beautiful spice and caramel aroma. The cup is clean with a silky body and a taste that reminds me of a warm slice of spice cake drizzled with caramel. There is delicate dark fruit sweetness, but it is not overly sweet.
LMWDP #371

Supporter ♡

#22: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

The last one! Ninety Plus "Perci Ruby" Level 195, Panama Gesha. The spiced fruit flavors are both delicate and crystal clear, lovely. The main problem is that this is a coffee that makes most other coffee you taste afterwards seem pallid.

And yes it is both ridiculously and prohibitively expensive, $125USD/100 grams, the most expensive bean I have ever ground. It was just 4 years ago I was stunned when I bought the then most expensive coffee I had ever bought at the time, 250 grams of a "best of Panama" for $25USD. I wish I could get that coffee again!
LMWDP #371

Advertisement
Chert

#23: Post by Chert »

Bak Ta Lo wrote:The last one! Ninety Plus "Perci Ruby" Level 195, Panama Gesha.
I'm curious, what does Level 195 signify?
LMWDP #198

TomC
Team HB

#24: Post by TomC »

Chert wrote:I'm curious, what does Level 195 signify?

It means you need to mortgage your house to buy any.

If you want to try the Semeon Abay, pick whichever kidney you can live without. But it is the best coffee I've ever had in my entire life and likely won't be beat anytime soon.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC
Team HB

#25: Post by TomC »

And a straightforward answer would be, the higher you go up in Level, the higher you go in price, panache and desirability.

Chert

#26: Post by Chert »

TomC wrote:It means you need to mortgage your house to buy any.

If you want to try the Semeon Abay, pick whichever kidney you can live without. But it is the best coffee I've ever had in my entire life and likely won't be beat anytime soon.

I better stay away. Last time I checked I had just two kidneys...and I probably need both for all the coffee of lesser price and panache I filter through them.
LMWDP #198

Supporter ♡

#27: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

Tom, finally got my hands on the Semeon Abay! Wallet dented... :oops:

The flavor profile is not just really good, it is so unique. The ground beans are really something special in fragrance and the aroma when immersed in water was even better. The combination of red fruit, berry, and herbs is one of a kind.

LMWDP #371

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#28: Post by TomC »

There really isn't anything else in the world of coffee like it. It's extremely hard to roast. My 200g sample wasn't enough to dial in, but Dustin nailed it eventually, having a lot more.

thepilgrimsdream

#29: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

I'm not going to bother.....I'll go broke, then be craving the best coffee on the planet....