Arist coffee machine (Kickstarter) - Page 8

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Paul_Pratt

#71: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Oh the spoof has been removed from the other platform. So several days have passed and the long awaited video of the Arist working has not happened yet, don't hold your breath. Someone joked it was a shame the spoof one was taken down as they may have released a video first :D

Although obviously a complete disaster in the making, I am mainly interested to see how they go because they have managed to play the game, schmooze the right people and get some financial and technical support by the HK Government/Science Park. Myself and many business people I know with real ideas get no support. Even the low rent science park offices are a huge subsidy in HK with the world's highest real estate prices. So it's a little annoying to see a complete fantasy concept get some sort of backing.

In case anyone missed it the ridiculous Bonaverde all in one roaster/grinder/brewer on KS has gone wrong as well with a long list of backers asking for refunds.

Bob_McBob

#72: Post by Bob_McBob »

Next update will apparently be coming in two weeks on December 15. Amusingly, some backers view the IDIB spoof as serious evidence that Arist was right to not share the video that was promised. One guy even asked them to block the 70 sub-$299 pledgers from seeing project updates. Arist will be "using the extra time to implement extra security measures to minimize risks of leaks" and collecting personal verification information, so it doesn't sound like they're going to share the video with people who didn't pledge for a machine.

:roll:
Chris

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#73: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Bob_McBob wrote: One guy even asked them to block the 70 sub-$299 pledgers from seeing project updates.
:roll:
Hmmm...Sounds like someone wants to control the news and their image by preventing the dissemination of facts and information, ahhh, the Hong Kong I know and love. Maybe they have been popping over here and reading this thread and it is not what they want to hear.
LMWDP #371

Marrow

#74: Post by Marrow »

Well there are about 10 hours left before it is no longer December 15th anywhere in the world. No sign of the promised update yet...

kellzey

#75: Post by kellzey »

OMG! I just read some of their Updates... the one from the Global Intellectual Property Company Limited is hilarious...

"Not only that..."

Marrow

#76: Post by Marrow »

Yeah, that company hasn't published any updates on its website since 2012...

Bob_McBob

#77: Post by Bob_McBob »

Yesterday's promised update has finally arrived!
Arist wrote: Hi Backers,

We would like to address the issue regarding the new video we promised. Originally we planned to create 2246 individual copies to send out to backers who have pledged for a machine. Our reasoning behind that is so we can track any unauthorized uploaded versions. We hoped that this security measure would encourage our backers to keep it private to protect our project as well as discourage them from leaking the video.

However, due to the recent heated discussions in the comments section, we have grown even more wary and have decided not to release said video. At the same time, we will discuss with our patent lawyer to see if there are other viable options. If someone actually leaks a video now, it will actually defeat the purpose of us being so cautious thus far. At this point in time, we don't want to take anymore unnecessary risks that may jeopardize the future of Arist, because losing IP protection will inevitably tear down Arist Inc. We want to thank our supportive backers for understanding that the most important thing right now is to ensure we can deliver this machine to you in a timely manner and the survival of Arist as a company to continue providing you with support.

Thanks
Arist Team
Hilarious stuff :lol:
Chris

Spitz.me (original poster)

#78: Post by Spitz.me (original poster) »

Mark my words. This is going to be no different to the bonaverde situation. There will be so many changes to that svelte machine and its functioning that the Arist backers will eventually find themselves in the same enraged position as the Bonaverde backers.
LMWDP #670

jbr

#79: Post by jbr »

It was totally predicable that there would be no update or video as promised. The IP issues are just a convenient excuse.
I think it's likely they want to develop this machine and will try to do so but they obviously don't have a real working prototype currently.
Once they run into development issues and realize that it can't be done or the cost is prohibitive to even try the project will likely be either cancelled or scaled back massively. If you look at the the 3D renderings from the Arist KS campaign the grinder was initially labeled as a "blade grinder" and they later they updated the rendering to label it as a burr grinder. I think it's likely Bonaverde will at least deliver something even if it is massively less than what was promised. The odds of this product ever shipping are much lower. Speaking of Bonaverde, I saw a video of a coffee blogger at a trade show about a year before the Bonaverde KS campaign got into the booth of the Korean company who made the Bonaverde prototype (it's not clear if Bonaverde is ripping them off or if they are ripping Bonaverde off or if they each have some rights to that thing) - anyway, it was painful to watch that thing try to make coffee (cringe worthy) and when the blogger tasted the coffee after a painfully long wait he had a difficult time describing what it tasted like on camera without without totally insulting the company representative who was standing right there. Definitely entertaining...

Bob_McBob

#80: Post by Bob_McBob »

After almost a month without contact, much worried speculation in the comments, and several backers reporting the project to Kickstarter, Arist finally posted another update today. There is a short video from the creators that mentions they're seeking further funding to speed up manufacturing, and that their "design verification process" is complete and they're ready to begin tooling. There is also a list of technical specifications. From this we know the dimensions have been greatly altered from what was listed for the prototype machine; it's now 3" shorter, and the depth has increased by 5.5". Some backers noted the absence of features like the "cocoa powder dispenser". The update doesn't contain photos or drawings of the current machine design, which must be rather substantially different from their improbable "working prototype".

Chris