Chemex Ottomatic - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Goldensncoffee

#11: Post by Goldensncoffee »

I thought the whole idea of the Chemex was that it's a manual brewer. I enjoy manually pouring and perfecting my pour technique...even if this thing made a better cup it would take away from the experience.

ripvanmd

#12: Post by ripvanmd »

As a guy who brews a 6 cup chemex every single morning before work and has to decant half into a thermos for his still snoozing wife, my overriding question is "dear lord why not spend the R&D money on a double walled chemex...?"

pafcio0

#13: Post by pafcio0 »

Waaay too high temperature setting for me.

Boldjava

#14: Post by Boldjava »

clynch wrote:... I was thinking, however, about getting a warming plate or some type of jacket to go around my glass carafe to keep the coffee hot. Any suggestions?
Charlie, a cozy around the pot is fine. Etsy always has some. https://www.etsy.com/market/chemex_cozy

Using a warming plate is not a good idea. It ruins the coffee. On the rare occasion when I need to keep coffee warm, I use an airpot and then, just to keep it hot for 30-45 min max.
-----
LMWDP #339

Chnl

#15: Post by Chnl »

With Chemex using a warming plate when they are some what geniuses of coffee..... Does that mean this $350 warming plate is better than the standard ones on the market?

CrucialCoffee

#16: Post by CrucialCoffee »

Goldensncoffee wrote:I thought the whole idea of the Chemex was that it's a manual brewer. I enjoy manually pouring and perfecting my pour technique...even if this thing made a better cup it would take away from the experience.
It's an interesting product, but you're right. Crafting your brew method, getting your pour just right and the overall manual practice of the Chemex is half the fun. You make it your own when you yourself manually do all the steps. Should be interesting later down the line to see how well this is received.

Eastsideloco

#17: Post by Eastsideloco »

To be fair, if the main options for keeping the pot of coffee warm post-brewing are:

A) Warming plate

B) Thermal carafe

then Chemex is pretty much boxed into Option A-regardless of whether or not it's the best option-by virtue of the fact that they primarily sell a single-walled glass carafe.

Run2Joe

#18: Post by Run2Joe »

I do like doing all the manual things with my Chemex, but it is worth observing that the shape of the Chemex vessel is such that you can get it very, very clean and that is one of its strengths. Other manual pour-over set-ups have complicated shapes and ridges that can trap oils and affect the taste of subsequent brewing efforts. So, with the Ottomatic, you can have an auto brewer that you can actually keep clean.

[creative nickname]

#19: Post by [creative nickname] »

The ease of clean-up with the Chemex is one reason that, when I use my wife's bonavita batch brewer, I usually substitute an 8-cup chemex for the filter & thermal carafe. I have no interest in drinking coffee hours after its brewed, so neither a hot plate nor an insulated carafe are attractive options to me.

It would be nice if it offered more control over pour rate and temperature. If somebody was offering the features that Invergo is promising in a package that looks more like this or the Ratio, I might be willing to drop this much money on one.
LMWDP #435

CrucialCoffee

#20: Post by CrucialCoffee replying to [creative nickname] »

It's a tough call. Its so new and a bit pricey and really the whole point behind Chemex is, easy clean up and manually brewing. I think automating the brew process and limiting temperature may be a big no no. Once again, time will tell.