Broke my Hario V60... pourover suggestions? - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CrucialCoffee

#31: Post by CrucialCoffee »

Nomadic_Lemon wrote:The trouble with the Chemex filters is that they're so thick that you get a lot of paper filter taste. The Hario filters are much thinner so with rinsing the paper filter taste is negligible. This is just my personal preference.

As to the V60 03 and a range server, I could use this instead with similar results but I do enjoy the aesthetics of the Chemex. I enjoy being able to brew and serve in the same vessel, and the flexibility of filter type. (The Chemex can be used with paper, metal or cloth filters). The flat wall of the Chemex where the filter rests against the glass should in theory lead to a more even/thorough extraction, (depending on which school of thought you subscribe to), because water can't drain through the filter at the top and down the side of the vessel without coming into contact with the coffee, as it can with other ridged pourover methods. (But of course this is debatable and a whole different discussion so we probably shouldn't go there!).

The 8 cup Chemex can hold more liquid than many range servers making it great when you are serving larger groups of people, and as I mentioned before I prefer the aesthetics to many range servers - although I do have a glass carafe that I use with the Clever Coffee Dripper (and sometimes with V60) which I also enjoy as a serving vessel.

So that's my reasoning for using the Chemex as I do. It just comes down to personal preference really, and having a setup that suits the way I like to prepare and serve my coffee.
I agree with you in regards to that 'paper filter taste'. We go the route of Stainless Steel filters for Chemex. Even when moistening the paper filters it tastes chemically.

Also, you're right aesthetically the Chemex is probably one of the nicest vessels out there and its overall and amazing way to serve coffee.

Advertisement
CrucialCoffee

#32: Post by CrucialCoffee »

oktyone wrote:Get plastic or stainless steel drippers instead! :D

Hario offers the v60 in plastic or stainless steel alongside glass and ceramic, and Kalita has the wave dripper in stainless steel.
Stainless steel is the way to go! Couldn't agree more.

martinngyh

#33: Post by martinngyh »

If you like the small foot-print of Hario cone, they have a paperless filter CFOD. It works exactly the same as a Hario 60. The downside to this vessel is that it has plastic. I am new to pour over, and have already taken a course for pour over, but still could not make a cup that I think is good enough. The speed on my apparatus is kind of slow, even though the grind is kind of course. I am not sure if the speed is due to the filter, and the taste is due to the water at my apartment (my water is filtered with Pur, but I still find scale build on my water boiler).

SlowRain

#34: Post by SlowRain »

I'm narrowing down my search for a method to brew 1L of coffee. Aesthetics aside and going purely by the taste, what do you guys with both Chemex and Hario V60 (02 or 03) brewers think of the coffee brewed comparing these combinations:

1. Chemex with Chemex filters
2. Chemex with Hario filters
3. Hario with Chemex filters
4. Hario with Hario filters

Now that some of you have had your setups for a while now, is there a noticeable difference? I'm particularly interested in whether any of you have noticed anything regarding the smoothness of the Chemex versus the ridges of the Hario glass.

Thanks.