New Wrecking Ball Cafe in San Francisco

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Jofari

#1: Post by Jofari »

A few weeks ago, I took a bike ride to Wrecking Ball Coffee Roaster's new cafe in the Cow Hollow area of San Francisco. It was a really great experience. The cafe is quite small with three seats at the pour-over bar and some benches along the side of the narrow entrance. My pour-over was brewed perfectly and I had a nice conversation with the barista while she prepared it for me. Later, while sipping on my coffee, I had an interesting conversation with Nick Cho about his choice to use the new Acaia scales at the brew bar. For anyone who lives in the area or plans on visiting, I'd highly recommend a stop at this cafe.

I also took home some beans (Yirgacheffe Gelana Abaya). I was surprised to see that the roast is quite a bit more developed than other roasters in the area to which I've become accustomed. It was actually a nice break from routine to use these beans and I enjoyed the comforting chocolates and caramels in the cup.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take any pictures, but you can find a few of them (and some more info) at the following link: http://sprudge.com/inside-wrecking-ball ... -cafe.html

Fullsack

#2: Post by Fullsack »

Been frequenting Wrecking Ball, Union Street, for a few months now; like the complexity and acidity of their 2UP espresso blend. I'd gone through over 5 pounds of their beans, trying to duplicate what they serve at their bar, with my GS/3, (they have a Strada - same group), with little success. My shots were either too bold or over extracted. They pull their espressi with about 21 grams of coffee for approximately 23 seconds and I was doing the same.
This morning the barista showed me the basket they use, a Nuova Simonelli, rather than the standard La Marzocco I was using. Went home and pulled a shot with a Nuova Simonelli basket: Success!
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

I heard they were closed today due to power outage and heard St. Frank was making coffee with hand grinders and camp stoves.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Fullsack

#4: Post by Fullsack »

I got there around 7:10 this morning; the power went out at 7:25, so they closed for the rest of the day.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams