Vesuvius, Profitec, Londinium, other? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Mrboots2u

#21: Post by Mrboots2u »

OK the lever is only in the bench for 5-6 days before it goes ..
Early shots from the V are good ( although I'm not predominantly using a lever profile yet )
I know Dan is doing a review at the moment , I'm sure he will cover all aspects completely.
I'd be interested to see what steam arm his review model has though as it seemed to cope well in the review.
Its gotta be different to the one I have .

ronsil

#22: Post by ronsil »

Completely agree with that. As I said from day 1 the steam wand supplied is completely useless for anything other than a small jug.

IMO A great pity to spoil a great Machine

Advertisement
neutro

#23: Post by neutro »

lagoon wrote:Dave, the latest shipments of the Profitec 700 now come with a plumbable driptray, and a drainage kit to suit.

I bought mine about a month ago, and it had the new driptray setup.
That actually is awesome. I ordered mine about a month ago on idrinkcoffee in Canada and am still awaiting shipment of a new batch. The lack of plumbable drip tray was one of the very few nicks in an almost perfect shopping scorecard.

Mrboots2u

#24: Post by Mrboots2u »

http://youtu.be/TYDr0zm0XSA
Quick clip of a simonelli t3 profile

joanes

#25: Post by joanes »

So, what is the verdict, how did the vesuvus compare to the L1?

Mrboots2u

#26: Post by Mrboots2u »

How does the vesuvius and the l1 compare ?
They are different machines and do different things
If you want an amazing lever shot with the declining temperature profile that only a lever produces , with simplicity and consistency each time then get a londinium . It matches and surpasses lever shots I've had of restored Faema and other lever machines . For me the espresso beats your standard home set up e61 shots every time.

If you want a machine where you can manipulate pressure profile to the nth degree , change brew temps , simulate other pump machine profiles , then the vesuvius is in a class on its own for pump machines and its price ( plus it can be run off tank unlike other machines )

Will a vesuvius pull the same shot as a londinium? No , but it can do other things the lever machine can't, this doesn't make it better or worse , just different.

I wouldn't be buying a vesuvius on the grounds it will make the " same shot " as a londinium lever , I'd be buying it because it allows you to see what pressure profiles you can experiment with and enjoy.
I now only have the Vesuvius at home , I'm enjoying the espresso it makes a great deal ,paired with my EK43 , it's an ideal machine to exploit all the sweetness that grinder can produce ( I know other owners who use more conventional conical grinders and get excellent results to btw ) .
I don't have the Vesuvius set to a lever profile though , I'm using it currently with slow ramp up and then a hit of 9 bar currently . I've experimented with slayer type profiles , and low long pre infusion , low pressure extractions also . This is one of the joys of the machine .

Cheers

joanes

#27: Post by joanes »

I see the point.
But taste wise, there would not be a clear rational to go for one machine over the other?
I'm currently having a blast with my L1. I find it difficult to imagine have more delicious shots.
But of course it is interesting to understand the motivation to go for one machine over the other.
Enjoy

Advertisement
Mrboots2u

#28: Post by Mrboots2u »

My personal rationale was I knee what the l1 was capable off , I didn't know what the Vesuvius was....
They both make delicious drinks with different taste profiles , I'm not sure I tasted enough side by side or have the critical faculties or consistent enough Barista skills to decide with is tastier.
Sounds like you r in epresso heaven with the l1 , if so there is no reason for you to change