Fix a spring steel thermostat on Caravel? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

Thank you for mentioning that switch. I just checked the one on my Caravel 1.0. Guess what? Mine has that same dual switch. I thought the part closest to the body was fixed, but I gripped it a little tighter and it turns! 8)
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

grog

#12: Post by grog »

Huh, just fiddled with the one on my 1.0 and made the same discovery - never realized the larger dial was adjustable. Thanks Jack!
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
grog

#13: Post by grog »

Fiddled with both dials and cranked them both all the way up. Kettle hit a rolling boil and stayed there for a minute or so, so I unplugged the machine before pulling my shot. I'll finally have to do some temp management on my Caravel - I've never had the kettle go to a boil before.
LMWDP #514

peacecup (original poster)

#14: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Oh yeah, she'll boil allright. I've had to keep backing it down to find the temperature I want, but haven't been using the Caravel much lately. The thing about the Caravel thermostat is that it overshoots by a couple of degrees, that is, once it turns off it increases further a couple degrees. So you either have to set it below your brew temp or wait a few minutes as it cools.

I think I should get the Caravel out tomorrow for ringing in the New Year.

Greg - I'll send an email, but I will need to get one of those valve assemblies from GCC eventually. No rush, whenever you happen to make it there.

Happy New Year all you HBs!
PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."