Boiler pressure gauges vs thermometers - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
OldNuc

#21: Post by OldNuc »

Just a passing thought. IR thermometer results are just not reliably repeatable except when using the same instrument and the same target that the previous measurements were taken with.

A great deal of repeatable and transferable information can be obtained with a thermometer. Thermocouples and/or thermistors are considerably less accurate and/or repeatable. The small pressure gages normally encountered are at best 5% of full scale and a greater tolerance at half scale. For high precision home measurements the thermo-well and calibrated thermometer is going to be the closest. As it is a saturated system then boiler pressure may be picked off of a temperature-pressure chart.

jonr

#22: Post by jonr »

It's so unlikely that two people will have the same coffee, roast, time since roast, grinder, grind, timing, pressure, room temp, humidity, etc, that I see little use for great temp accuracy. Tell me the approximate temp and I'll adjust from there. Repeat-ability is important, although with all the other variables, I'm not sure that a typical home user can make much use of better than 1C.