Owner experience with Pharos manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 126

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
beer&mathematics

#1251: Post by beer&mathematics »

Where in ny are you at?
LMWDP #431

Travisimo

#1252: Post by Travisimo »

What I have found useful to get all the grinds out of the Pharos:

1. Tilt the Pharos grinder with the plug hole facing down at 6o'clock at an 45 degree angle to dump the initial grounds into a pitcher.
2. Next, tap the bottom of one of the rubber feet with the palm of my hand like a iron palm strike...LOL, for the few remaining.
3. Then, shake up and down a few times.
4. Followed by lifting the Pharos handle up with one hand completely, and then let go to release the handle, turn it a quarter turn and lift up the handle release suddenly, several times rapidly up and down in a careful yet forceful manner. {Like what Doug has shown in some of his Technical Bulletins on the Pharos.}

This helps get the majority of my espresso grinds out without turning the handle and feeling any rub or grind retention. :wink:

BTW, Doug and Barb -- Absolutely love the stock config Pharos handcrafted grinder {SN #1030}! Best investment in my espresso craft pursuits!

Regards,

Trav

monkeybongo

#1253: Post by monkeybongo »

Just happened to refresh the page last night and found one Pharos in stock and ordered it immediately. Can't wait to receive it and patiently reading up on the VoodooDaddy mods.

beer&mathematics

#1254: Post by beer&mathematics replying to monkeybongo »

Nice--do try and use the grinder stock for a while and get the mods only if you think you need them. I love the mods myself ;)
LMWDP #431

monkeybongo

#1255: Post by monkeybongo replying to beer&mathematics »

I received my Pharos #1084 last week. This is an great grinder for the price, I broke in the burrs and proceeded to make some amazing shots, really close in quality to cafes in my city that uses a Robur which I knew my Vario-W couldn't match.

I'm glad I was able to read this thread in advanced, I knew some of the quirks in advance so I was a prepared for the minimal design. I'm looking forward to see their take on the Pharos2 if it ever comes out.

I'm taking a look at the mods now, it might be a few months before I can order them.

grind727

#1256: Post by grind727 »

Public service announcement: As of 10:55pm EST Pharos were in stock on the OE site.

I got mine!
LMWDP #717

tr6greig

#1257: Post by tr6greig »

Public service announcement: As of 10:55pm EST Pharos were in stock on the OE site.

Me too !!

mathof

#1258: Post by mathof »

tr6greig wrote:Public service announcement: As of 10:55pm EST Pharos were in stock on the OE site.
There's also a practically new Pharos listed on the Buy/Sell Forum

[FS] Orphan Espresso Pharos Grinder

Matt

Exordium01

#1259: Post by Exordium01 »

I'd like to mount my Pharos in a semi-permanent fixture because I primarily use light roasts that are a bit of a pain to grind, but I find that I need to shake it to get the grinds out. Has anybody developed a good mod for complete ground removal? I'm not interested in going the complete voodoodaddy route/moving the bottom bushing.

grog

#1260: Post by grog »

LMWDP #514