LMWDP Rollcall - Page 166

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Mark_Israel

#1651: Post by Mark_Israel »

Just wanted to introduce myself to the LMWDP rolls. I have been into espresso for perhaps 15-20 years. I have been through a stovetop Moka pot, Krups "espresso" machine, Isomac Relax, NS Oscar, (side trip to Aeropress for backcountry "espresso"), Spaziale Mini Vivaldi, and now I'm into Leverland (Doubt I'll ever return to a pump machine, but who knows). I have also just won an Arrarex Caravel on Ebay, so I will be able to compare open-boiler/hand lever to closed boiler/spring lever. I have gone through a few grinders, too: Krups blade, Virtuoso Preciso, Mazzer Mini, and now an HG One. (also have a Lido 2). I find myself more and more liking QUIET, SIMPLE, Hand-powered. I'm happy to be joining so many other Leverheads. By the way, are there many Deadheads among us. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a sizable overlap. As Archimedes said: give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I will move the earth". I'd like to connect with others in the Great Lakes region: Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Ontario, Wisconsin.

peacecup

#1652: Post by peacecup »

Welcome Greece and Michigan.
PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

elusiven

#1653: Post by elusiven »

Greetings members of the LMWDP!

I am very excited to join your ranks, having acquired a red 1984 Cremina in really wonderful condition (both internally and externally) from CL earlier today.

I've been fascinated with lever espresso ever since I've started making a semi-regular crosstown pilgrimage out to Andytown Coffee Roasters as a treat on the weekends, and enjoyed the nuance of the shots pulled on their KVdW Triplette.

When I got my HG-One few months ago it felt like it would only be a matter of time before I would again have to have "the talk" with my incredibly patient wife. Really looking forward to learning how to use this thing.
LMWDP #497

RedMan

#1654: Post by RedMan »

Congratulations on the find.
That looks like a well kept machine. I have an almost identical looking 89 model that I bought 6 months ago, also my first lever.
Took some time before I learned how to manage temperatures, adjust grind and dosing to different coffees etc.,
but it's a great little machine, fun to use and it's very rewarding when you get it right and produce very good shots. Enjoy!

Buffy_ZA

#1655: Post by Buffy_ZA »

So since i last posted I've had a cimbali Domus, and an Isomac CafeTera (Both auto's) but I could never stop using my Pavoni!

Today that changed...

Picked up a '77 Olympia Cremina off of gumtree for a steal... and it all works!!

Not in as good condition as the post before mine but still great!!
LMWDP #473

craigcharity

#1656: Post by craigcharity »

Buffy_za , did you pick the Cremina off South African gumtree? If so I am very very jealous, possibly even a bit mad:)

Buffy_ZA

#1657: Post by Buffy_ZA replying to craigcharity »

I did indeed... sorry 8)
LMWDP #473

Redfer

#1658: Post by Redfer »

Hello all, my name is Dmitry and I live in Fairfax, VA. US.
I have this machine for about 1/2 year, my wife and I enjoy it very much.

I used to use that wooden pestle and mortar set, (just kidding) but now I have Mazzer Super Jolly that I modified, as you can see.
Also I would like to share my little invention, this little silver disk with holes around that looks like a sieve. The purpose of it is to quench the hot water/steam that you have after the machine warms up.

The disk goes on the top of the coffee pack. It also reduces the amount of coffee grinds going up the shower screen.
I have been using this set up for about 4-5 months and I really think that it works quiet well. The taste of the espresso is more stable now between the first shot and the forth.
The disk is made of sterling silver, silver and gold have the best heat transfer characteristics of any metal.

CrabRangoon

#1659: Post by CrabRangoon »

I'm finally getting around to posting in here. I purchased my Cremina this Fall and am loving it, having come from a Mypressi Twist (also loved) and an NS Oscar. No picture as I've got a ding in the outer case that I'd like to sort out before trying to show my coffee counter to the world :lol:
LMWDP #505

day

#1660: Post by day »

Hi, my name is Brian. I am a 4th grade teacher. I have had a Gaggia Classic for 5 years paired with an MDF grinder. Just sold the Classic for the same thing I paid -160-(kept the Rancilio base that came with it) sunk all of that and a good bit more into a La Pavoni, plus finally got some new burrs for my MDF that I bought off the same guy 5 years ago (figured after 13 years of use and only 5 with me it was about time!)

I just got my Pavoni fully working like 1 hour ago. I now know for certain it was a 1984-1987 model as I had to bypass the ThermoFuse because it was acting funky, shutting off the Pavoni at 12 PSI, then cycling between 5-8 PSI. But, its all good now! Working flawlessly but without a thermofuse. Clean up was brutal though! It was disgusting and the circlip removal was one of my least favorite repair jobs ever, I spent almost 8 hours of hands on for that one part alone!

I am extremelly excited to get to practice on her, and have been getting more consistent shots just within today, albeit foamy (I was practicing prior to getting the thermofuse fixed, it was just a bit tricky). Hopefully this group is still active. I actually joined 5 years ago and posted for about a year and a half with my Gaggia, but that account has apparently been deleted. So, I am on a new one. Without further ado, here is my beauty, I mounted the shelves just for her. I feel like she is worth pulling shots into my Illy cups, never felt that way about the Gaggia, so I had to bring some of them out of the cupboard.

Brian

P.S. Thanks to all those on Home-Barista for the thermometry tips and the gauge tips. Merry christmas.

Yes, i you per this on an iPhone