Downgrading from high end espresso machine to very low end... advice? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
danaleighton

#11: Post by danaleighton »

jonathan wrote:after 2 years of Nespresso, i want to buy the cheapest machine possible....(and a very good grinder)...for that occasional real espresso. Is there a really low cost machine out there that will give me some satisfaction?
I agree with the lever ideas presented already. A decent used La Pavoni should run you around 400ish. It's a really fun way to make the occasional espresso, but I tired of it for daily use. Shameless self-promotion alert... I have a PIDed Solis SL70 on the Buy/Sell forum that is still available if you want a pump machine. You might also look for a used (no longer made) Mypressi Twist (I am getting ready to post one for sale). They can be had for an average of about $120 on eBay.

I'll leave it to others regarding the grinder, but generally the very good hand grinders or a Vario would be the ways to go I think.
Dana Leighton
LMWDP #269

mariobarba

#12: Post by mariobarba »

Rok espresso maker with an OE grinder.

OldNuc

#13: Post by OldNuc replying to mariobarba »

That would be my pick as well for high quality low total cost.

aecletec

#14: Post by aecletec »

Better than pods should be fairly easy with the rok/oe but there would also be a steep learning curve above that...

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

lain2097 wrote:I'd still get a "real" commercial spring lever (Bezzera, L1, etc) if anything as the capacity and consistency aspect is worth considering. Nothing against levers at all. :wink:
With a group thermometer installed home levers are very consistent. I'm writing this as someone who also has a commercial lever. The Microcasa a Leva I'm now reviewing is also very consistent once you add a 0.03 inch ptfe heat break gasket.* With a 1.8 L boiler the capacity is pretty good too.

Seeing Mike's (Compass Coffee) comments I'm going to have to drop by and check out his Synesso!

* If installing a do-it-yourself heat break gasket instead of a factory spec part, for safety, be sure to install bolts that are longer by at least the extra thickness of the gasket. You'll want to have the bolt turn in by six full threads of engagement into the boiler, keeping in mind that any modifications to factory specification are taken at your risk as per the terms of use that you agree to when accessing this site.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Chert

#16: Post by Chert »

Seeing Mike's (Compass Coffee) comments I'm going to have to drop by and check out his Synesso!
+1

Quite likely Dec 20.
LMWDP #198

Intrepid510

#17: Post by Intrepid510 »

Machine wise probably a home lever is your best bet, now what machine depends on you drink of choice. Small milk drinks a mil Pavoni or similar, straight espresso open air boiler.

A grinder I would say either a vario or hand grinder.