Wilfa Precision coffee brewer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
skittles_s

#1: Post by skittles_s »

Anyone in the states get their hands on one yet?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... fee-maker/

Looks sexy, but is it worth the premium over a Bonavita brewer?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

It does look very nice, I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone in the states that's sprung for this.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

It is amazing how complicated we can make add hot water to coffee and steep.
Dave Stephens

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I kind of like the simplicity and elegance of it. The manual valve on the bottom of the filter cone adjusts the flow to suit your batch size, that's kind of cool.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

skittles_s (original poster)

#5: Post by skittles_s (original poster) »

Just a bump. Wondering if anyone here has picked this unit up and can share some first-hand accounts.

Clint Orchuk

#6: Post by Clint Orchuk »

We picked one up a while ago. Beautiful machine to look at and made a great cup. The easy to fill water reservoir was a nice feature. In the end we sent it back though. The glass carafe and hot plate was the deal breaker for us. We probably would have kept it if it brewed into a stainless thermal carafe. We've since been trying out Technivorms, but they're also going back and we're going to end up with the new Bonavita 1900's for our auto drip brewing due to the pre infusion setting and the better shower head.

#7: Post by skittles_s (original poster) »

Thanks for your feedback, Clint. Did you find the shower head of the Wilfa lacking versus the Bonavita, or were you referring to the Techniworm versus the Bonavita (or both)? Other than the carafe, you found the quality in the cup to be very high?

I need to pick up a drip brewer for when we have company over and do not want to mess with consecutive large-batch chemex brews. In our use, the entire pot would likely get dispensed immediately; I do not imagine leaving coffee sitting around in the carafe (in which case I could transfer it to an airpot). The aesthetics of the Wilfa are more spouse-friendly in a very crowded space, but I do not want to sacrifice brew quality. For various reasons I am not considering the Brazen or a Techniworm.

Thanks in advance for any further reflections.

punitenshu

#8: Post by punitenshu »

I've also got a question for Clint.

Do you happen to know what the internals that the hot water made contact with were made of (aside from the obvious plastic showerhead, of course).

I happened to notice that the barista who helped design the Wilfa mentioned optimizing the pump to make sure no water was left inside that would pick up metallic taste which made me wonder if the internals might be mostly metal instead of the typical plastic.

Thanks for sharing your impressions thus far!

#9: Post by skittles_s (original poster) »

Well, Williams-Sonoma's Cyber Monday coupon was pretty good so I ordered a Wilfa Precision yesterday. I'll report back once it arrives and I put it through its paces.

#10: Post by skittles_s (original poster) »

My unit arrived yesterday so I thought I'd update this thread with some first impressions.

Well, that first impression is a good one. The materials (mostly) feel robust. It's a very well thought out design. The filter holder can stand on its own (and itself is insulated and rather thick) which makes adding the grounds easy as you can place it directly on the counter or a scale. The water reservoir is likewise well executed: easy to remove and fill (or clean). Plus it also stands upright on my scale so I can be very specific about the amount of water I am using. Volume on the reservoir and carafe are marked in metric (thank you!) and the reservoir includes recommended proportions of grounds-to-water specified in grams and liters. The recommendations are a great starting point and I imagine would help the average consumer quickly get a better coffee experience than they're used to. The adjustable aperture on the bottom of the filter holder is likewise marked with the intended volume of coffee to adjust the flow rate appropriately; that aperture can be closed completely. And as most reading this will know, it gets an A+ for its looks.

FWIW, I grabbed a digital instant-read thermometer and got it up into one of the streams from the shower head. It read a consistent 202 degrees during the part of the brew cycle I bothered to check. I've only made one batch of coffee so far: a Kenyan from Olympia (600g of water to 40g of coffee at one rotation on my Lido 2). The coffee is a little old at this point but the cup was tasty and consistent to what I've come to know from a V60 or Chemex preparation. The bed of grounds appeared consistent and flat post-brew.

My initial gripes are minor. I'd prefer a thermal carafe and no hotplate but I do not tend to leave brewed coffee sitting around. Also, I wish the reservoir had a metal collar or something on the bottom to help guide it into alignment as you insert it. Insertion is not troublesome, but better "feel" and feedback during the process would be nice.

I cannot say how any of these items will wear at this point. Time will tell. I'll update the thread as needed.