Market for espresso machine needing repair

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
johnc

#1: Post by johnc »

I'm posting here because am not sure there's a better place. The question is how to best get some value from, and find a home for, a sadly now-malfunctioning Expobar Office Pulser HX machine that I don't have the expertise, time and patience to repair myself. The machine has some problems that I am sure can be fixed by a competent person (all relate to a screwed up descaling, may involve cleaning out the boiler and possibly replacing the heating element and pressurestat, not sure) but I'm not able to spend the time needed to do it and my spouse isn't too interested in seeing us invest several hundred dollars in repair bills for a machine that is already 11 years old. These things are heavy to ship but I wonder whether Craigslist is really a place to sell something like this. For the right person with expertise it would be a manageable project. Is "buy/sell" the place for this or should I forget about it. Thanks

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

From How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the "right" price, with emphasis added:
HB wrote:Q. What are your recommendations for buying used espresso equipment?

A: With the warning that I'm not a savvy eBay shopper, I'll offer my opinion, cobbled together from my previous replies on the subject.

The availability of used second and third tier espresso equipment is good; the basic first tier equipment described earlier isn't made to last, so the working condition and resale value are dicey. Mazzer grinders typically go for 50% to 70% of the current retail price. Resale value of a used espresso machine is less reliable since their value is tightly coupled to popularity. If you pick a popular model, it can sell for the same 50% to 70% of current retail price if kept in top condition, should you decide to upgrade someday.

If a used model still in production with average popularity were in pristine condition but recent models have seen improvements in feature/reliability in the interim, the best price it can fetch is around 50% of today's model's full retail price. The price falls precipitously if the question of needed repairs enters into the equation, i.e., a few hundred at best.
You could list it online, but there are few who would be interested unless it's priced rock bottom. I'd look for a local buyer or consider giving it to a youth/church group and taking the tax deduction.
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

If you got 10+ years use I'd say you definitely got pretty good value from it all ready, cost less than 25c per day!

That said it's not now and never was a sought after machine but rather an entry level HX. So resale value wise, especially since in need of repair, I'd throw it up on Craigslist with condition full disclosure and ask like $200 OBO and be happy to get $100.

Or just post it free to a good home! (Make a condition they have a decent grinder :lol: )
Mike McGinness

bluesman

#4: Post by bluesman »

johnc wrote:Is "buy/sell" the place for this or should I forget about it. Thanks
On one hand, you never know who wants what until you post it. On the other, a non-functioning 11 year old home quality machine gave you great value and pleasure - so it doesn't owe you anything. The term for an expense you'll never recover is a "sunk cost", and this is the prototype. You got all you're likely to get out of it and it has little or no residual asset value.

I've sold a few broken devices to people who repaired such stuff and resold it for a small profit, so it's not a fool's errand. But it can take months to find the right buyer, so you have to want the few bucks you'll get badly enough to justify the time and effort you'll devote to selling it.

HB offers the most practical advice for most of us - donate it to a 501 (c) (3) thrift shop or charity and take a tax deduction.

Marshall

#5: Post by Marshall »

bluesman wrote:HB offers the most practical advice for most of us - donate it to a 501 (c) (3) thrift shop or charity and take a tax deduction.
Unless they sell junk for scrap metal, you would just be wasting their space and giving them a potential customer headache. There is a good chance they won't want it, if you are honest about its condition (which you should be, it's a charity after all).
Marshall
Los Angeles

bluesman

#6: Post by bluesman replying to Marshall »

Many vo-tech schools and programs are looking for simple, practical projects on which to learn and practice diagnostic and basic mechanical skills, Marshall. This machine sounds quite salvageable from the description given - if I weren't across the country from it, I'd fix it up myself.

I don't know how much time you've spent in thrift shops, but I've been trolling them (and pawn shops) for many years. In addition to the amazing vintage guitars, records, CDs and audio equipment I've bought, there have been many devices like commercial espresso machines and major auto shop tools that I wanted but simply had no time to repair.

Some don't want the aggravation and/or don't have the space & clientele for this. But many do - it can't hurt to ask. And of course you tell them it doesn't work - they'll sell it for $35 or less. No one who buys it like that would have a reasonable expectation of full function as is.

David