Chicago HB Get Together XII -- Saturday November 15 - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by mdmvrockford »

Jim,
Thanks for hosting and providing the salmon and sausage. As before I learned alot with respect to espresso.
LMWDP #568

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

My thanks to everyone who came. Joel had a great time.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
earlgrey_44

#13: Post by earlgrey_44 »

another_jim wrote:Joel had a great time.
Me too.

I had a coffee that I had dialed in nicely on my E-61, and at the gathering, I could taste it pulled on an unmodified Strega, AND a PID'd Strega. Setting the PID to the roaster recommended temp zapped the resulting pull seemingly into instant balance. I was impressed.

Finally, while John Oliver may be "hostus mostus" on HBO, Jim is hostus mostus for our corner HB. :D
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

vberch

#14: Post by vberch »

Hi guys, could you post some meeting notes for the unlucky ones who couldn't attend?

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#15: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Allen brought his Strega with a PIDed group heater to compare head to head with my stock one. I had helped a little set it up, and it seemed setting it to the same temperature as the thermostat, 199F, gave the best results, For the get together, I roasted some very light coffees (Esmeralda and Perci Red), pulled at the end of the first crack and meant for brewing, as a work out. The DP Perci Red pulled well on pulled well on both machines, but the Esmeralda only pulled well on Allen;'s with the group was set to 205F. At 199F, it did a better job with a chocolate bomb blend that Gary brought.

The data are too few to be conclusive; but it sure seems that stabilizing and controlling the group temperature may give an edge on performance.

Sherman took time off from his new job to come; he pulled more shots on Allen's machine.
Jim Schulman