Yet another metal AeroPress filter (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DavidMLewis

#1: Post by DavidMLewis »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kohilabs/kohi-labs-filter-for-the-aeropress-coffee-maker is a very fine stainless mesh AeroPress filter, for $15 during its Kickstarter phase. Looks pretty good and the risk is small.

David

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

The output seems pretty clean based on their test.
Chris

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

I've been going back and forth with Kohi via Twitter. It seems they tested the old version of Kaffeologie's S filter. Why does this matter? Because the new S filter, at 43 microns, is a bit finer than Kohi's (at 50 microns, I believe, though now I can't find my source for this).
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

SlowRain

#4: Post by SlowRain »

I have the new, 43-micron Kaffeologie S Filter, and I like it a lot. The weak point, in my mind, is the ring and how the mesh joins it. This Kohi looks interesting, and may solve that little issue, but I wonder how they'll keep the edges from fraying like a Bodum French press filter does.

DavidMLewis (original poster)

#5: Post by DavidMLewis (original poster) »

There's a nice interview at Daily Coffee News today. I particularly like this statement from the developers:
We do want to be clear: We are not anti-disc or anti-mesh, or even advocating a certain micron level filtration is better than another size. Our fines comparison is not meant as a shot at other reusable filters. At the end of the day, if a certain filter brews a cup you enjoy most, then that's the best filter for you.
Putting yourself out there with a commercial product is hard. Doing it while maintaining a certain level of humility is even harder.

Best,
David

SpromoSapiens

#6: Post by SpromoSapiens »

SlowRain got me wondering, too. So I asked the makers and got a prompt reply: "Our manufacturing method finishes the outer edge. It's fused so it will not fray. Our prototypes have held up very well--no issues."

For a couple bucks less than an S filter, I'm thinking i'll back this KS. I'm due for an upgrade, been using an Able Fine disc filter forever.

SpromoSapiens

#7: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Backed.

Now someone please confiscate my gadgets before I also back that awesome uKeg pressurized insulated growler.

DavidMLewis (original poster)

#8: Post by DavidMLewis (original poster) »

Too late. I backed the uKeg first, so I can't help you.

David

SpromoSapiens

#9: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Dang it. Now I've gone and backed it too! :D

jesse

#10: Post by jesse »

I didn't back this, but am definitely anxious to hear some reviews. Looks like they're almost ready to ship.

I wonder about the possibility of metal-fabric filters for drip cones..