Warning: Chloride & sulfate levels with weak acid cation softeners (e.g., Everpure Claris) - Page 6

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
shadowfax (original poster)

#51: Post by shadowfax (original poster) »

brianl wrote:I currently use a salt charged cation in tank water softener as an insurance so to speak.

I use pur filtered water and zero water filtered water in a blend to around 60 ppm tds. My tds is equivalent to my hardness pretty much. Should I continue to use the water softener? Will it affect my pH or taste of my coffee that it should be considered to be removed?
Salt softeners don't bleed H+ into the water (they bleed Na+ or K+, depending on the salt you pick), so there is no risk of acidifying your water the way claris does. As I understand it, that type of softener is not relevant to the WAC softeners discussed here.
Nicholas Lundgaard

homeburrero
Team HB

#52: Post by homeburrero »

Just an added caution with respect to chloride -- if you live in an area that uses a lot of road salt on winter roads, you may have very high chloride levels at certain times. Even enough to produce a salty taste, which would be way up there (250 mg/l or more.)

See http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/20 ... s_why.html
By Alex Napoliello and Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on March 12, 2015 at 12:17 PM, updated March 13, 2015 at 8:22 AM

Think your drinking water tastes a little salty lately? If you do, you're not alone.

The New Jersey American Water company sent out a notice Wednesday alerting residents that road salt runoff has made its way into the surface water supply. With the recent snowstorms followed by relatively warmer temperatures, the melted snow and rain streamlines salt into rivers and streams that may also be a source for drinking water.

The company said residents in seven counties - Essex, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Passaic, Somerset and Union - who receive their water from the Raritan River Basin or the Passaic River Basin may have experienced changes to their drinking water.

But the water is still safe to drink, said state environmental officials.
and
High TDS & Saltiness before & after filtration
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h