Packing espresso equipment for shipment

Used espresso or coffee stuff you hope to sell or buy.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

For helpful packing tips, see Ira's Packing an espresso machine - an example and Seattle Coffee Gear's video How to Package an Espresso Machine for Shipping. As noted in the Buy/Sell Read before posting! announcement, as a matter of policy, moderators will not become involved in any disputes between sellers and buyers. A little extra attention to proper packing can save you headaches.

Reminder: Do not forget that effectively packing a machine for shipment will increase the weight and size of the package and therefore the cost of shipping. It's money well spent!
Dan Kehn

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

I recently had a bad experience with a machine packed almost that well, so now I think of four principles when packing. With ample photos and a parts receipt the shipper didn't pay.

1. Bounce proof: Use enough bubble wrap so the machine can literally bounce with the wrap acting like a basketball. Shippers will try to dribble your package, I promise.

2. Crush resistant: Double boxing is best, stiff styrofoam works well. If they're going to put something heavy on your box, you want to evenly spread the load.

3. Rattle proof: As they suggest at Orphan Espresso, make sure all the contents are well wrapped and secured together so they don't bounce around inside the box.

4. Dry: Empty boiler and sight glass, plastic bags around the machine.

This works for small machines. Large or commercial ones should be on a wooden pallet.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

russel

#3: Post by russel »

I receive and ship a lot of stuff and as a result I know the guys at my local FedEx store pretty well. Once, while I was shipping an espresso machine the associate raised an eyebrow when he noticed that the declared value was well over $1000. He asked if it was packaged well. I told him that I had packed it myself and that it should be fine. He then asked me:
So you would be OK if I pushed this off the counter right now?
All I could manage to say was that I would really prefer it if he didn't. Anything you ship with a standard carrier should be able to survive a 4ft drop, and also having something else dropped onto it from 4ft above. A lot of sorting is done by machine and packages will fall from time to time. Anything heavy or with delicate bits should be either double boxed or packed in a box+foamboard with ample cushioning and support.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

My son just finished a six-month stint loading trailers for UPS. From what he's witnessed, virtually every package will be dropped during the shipping process. Many times, they'll be dropped multiple times.

The part I found interesting is that they pack trucks from bottom to top with the boxes in the order they come off the belt. Your box may be supporting six boxes above it each weighing 40-70 pounds each.

So, pack so that it your box can be dropped and so that it can withstand a heavy load on top of it.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

copperguy

#5: Post by copperguy »

I must admit I didn't heed your warnings. I recently shipped my old Giotto from Pa. to NJ. via UPS and after they bent the frame and the steam knob and broke the pressure gauge as well as having the machine not even turn on they refused my claim for reimbursement because the box wasn't double wall. Next time I pack it in two boxes and double bubble wrap each box.

Learning the hard way can be expensive.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

I just had a Versalab come from Germany. It had been double boxed, foam blocks on the ends but not in the middle(big mistake) and extra bubble wrap where it would fit. There was one thing I failed to take into account, rain.

The box had sat out in the rain (I assume it was water) somewhere and the cardboard was soggy and not supportive of anything.

The VL survived, but it needed a complete recalibration and alignment. The water had not reached the VL, just the packing material.

It looked like a delivery truck had a flat tire in the rain and the driver sat on the box while changing the tire... USPS and DHL
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train